How low can you go...Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Whatever... electricity grid import

Options

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 February 2022 at 8:08AM
    Options
    January:

347kWh imported
    91.5kWh generated
    36.48kWh exported
    60% self use

Total saving based on 20p/kWh, £11

Will update with SEG once I rceieved the bill.

Lowest import day was 7.9kWh thanks to some generation in the afternoon and then spending the evening at a friend's house  :D
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • mickyduck55
    Options
    Thanks for continuing to play

January:

260 kWh imported
    137.85 kWh generated
    5.2  kWh exported

96% used... 

Best day 10.4 kWh
    Worse day 0.52 kWh

Total saving based on 6.5 p/kWh, £8.70 (6.5 was my average unit cost for the 9 months to December)

Exported is very low, own usage high as I am using my AC (heat pump) to supplement my  GCH...

Had guests the last few day so cooked / Baked more but happy with the overall numbers..

3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 February 2022 at 6:55PM
    Options
    And in stark contrast:-
    Imported 1002 kWh's
    Generated 363 kWh's
    Exported 56 kWh's, consumed 307 kWh's or 84.6%.
    Best day 26 kWh's
    Worst day 1 kWh.

In my defence I can declare that no fossil fuels were harmed in the generation of these figures!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • dolly365
    Options
    We recently moved into a house with 12 solar panels on the roof (south east facing, no shade from trees etc). Never had solar panels before and no information was left by the previous owners re how to monitor their production or anything. They weren’t the original installers - the owners before them did it. We have a smart meter monitoring import and export and we’ve just signed up for the SEG - previous owners didn’t sign up for the FIT as this was precluded due to the panels being installed on a grant, however we can qualify for the SEG. 

Can anyone please give any advice or guidance on how to monitor output? I can q at see what we’re importing everyday through the Loop Energy app, but I can’t see how much our panels are producing and how much of that we’re able to use. There’s a simulation feature for panels and batteries on that app (just in case anyone is familiar), but it’s not going to be accurate as it’s not measuring our actual panel production/output. Thanks all!  
  • mickyduck55
    Options
    dolly365 said:
    We recently moved into a house with 12 solar panels on the roof (south east facing, no shade from trees etc). Never had solar panels before and no information was left by the previous owners re how to monitor their production or anything. They weren’t the original installers - the owners before them did it. We have a smart meter monitoring import and export and we’ve just signed up for the SEG - previous owners didn’t sign up for the FIT as this was precluded due to the panels being installed on a grant, however we can qualify for the SEG. 

Can anyone please give any advice or guidance on how to monitor output? I can q at see what we’re importing everyday through the Loop Energy app, but I can’t see how much our panels are producing and how much of that we’re able to use. There’s a simulation feature for panels and batteries on that app (just in case anyone is familiar), but it’s not going to be accurate as it’s not measuring our actual panel production/output. Thanks all!  
    Good morning what make of inverter do you have there is usually an App supplied by the manufacturer that connects to that which will show the information you need
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    dolly365 said:
    We have a smart meter monitoring import and export and we’ve just signed up for the SEG. 
    Can anyone please give any advice or guidance on how to monitor output?
    Without buying any additional hardware:
    • Do your solar panels have a generation meter? Usially they will, and this records total generation.
    • Your smart meter has separate import and export registers, to record import and export.
    Read all of these daily, weekly, monthly or annually, as you prefer. Your self-consumption is your daily/weekly/monthly/annual generation minus your daily/weekly/monthly/annual export.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 March 2022 at 2:27PM
    Options
    QrizB said:
    QrizB said:
    • (e) January - 406kWh imported, 93kWh generated
    • (e) February - 376kWh imported, 97kWh generated
    • (e) March - 268kWh imported, 224kWh generated
    • (e) April - 158kWh imported, 351kWh generated
    • May - 105kWh imported, 324kWh generated export N/A (meter not fitted).
    • June - 92kWh imported, 272kWh generated, export N/A
    • July - 99kWh imported, 319kWh generated, 43kWh exported (from 26/06 smart meter installation).
    • August - 62kWh imported, 256kWh generated, 183kWh exported (battery commissioned 16/08).
    • September  - 75kWh imported, 238kWh generated, 146kWh exported.
    • October - 130kWh imported, 171kWh generated, 50kWh exported
    • November - 200kWh imported, 94kWh generated, 24kWh exported.
    • December - 258kWh imported, 41kWh generated, 7kWh exported.
    Another month, another set of numbers. (I'm sure I'll get fed up quoting myself eventually.)
    • January 2022 - 219kWh imported, 84kWh generated, 17kWh exported.
    I'm pretty pleased with that; it's an average for the month of just over 7kWh/day imported, vs. 13.5kWh/day for the same month last year.
    And so to February. A short month but much sunnier than the preceding three.
    • February 2022 - 169kWh imported, 142kWh generated, 51kWh exported.
    Import is down from 7kWh/day in January to ~4.5kWh/day, although self-consumption is only up by 1kWh/day in compensation. I'm slightly disappointed to have exported 51kWh but more than half of that was over the four days 24-27/02 when I simply couldn't use it fast enough despite pressing both the immersion heater and washing machine into service.
    When this hot water tank needs replacing I'll have to get a bigger one :D
    Speaking of which, the Zigbee-enabled immersion heater is ready to go in April when gas prices rise; the latest Octopus Go statement (which sadly doesn't quite line up with the calendar months) shows I used ~110kWh off-peak and ~80kWh peak, which seems a reasonable split.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are keen.. will post tomorrow but this is just out of my oven.. Batteries full and Go Faster .. what's not to like

17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox

• mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    February:

339.5 kWh Total used
    171 kWh imported
    199.3 kWh generated
    11.4  kWh exported

95% of generation used... 

Best day 17.7 kWh
    Worse day 0.9kWh

Exported is very low, own usage high as I am still using my AC (heat pump) to supplement my  GCH...
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stats from myenergi hub which don’t quite tally with my smart meter.

January
    Total used 1.09MWh
    Imported 961kwh (smart meter says 921)
    Generated 139 (Fit meter 139)
    Consumed 135.7
    Exported 3.4

February
    Total used 838
    Imported 649 (smart meter says 625)
    Generated  211 (Fit meter 210)
    Consumed 188.2
    Exported 22.4

Interesting discrepancy in generation between my smart meter and myenergi hub (clamp).

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback