John Lewis gift card expired

Options

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 January 2022 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Just here to ask Stevoh a bit more about how his chat with them went!

You can take it with a pinch of salt, getting a refund on an expired credit is very unlikely.

I may have believed he got an extension, but a refund......
  • stevoh
    stevoh Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2022 at 9:01PM
    Options

Elsien, we were completely isolating due to health reasons so couldn't make it to the shop sadly even if it was open.  I agree we could have used them online and I will discuss this with them I just purely wanted to know how Stevoh's chat with them went. :) 
    Hi there, I managed to get extension on full amount. It’s a long time ago now but I believe I mentioned the constraints with Covid and lack of opportunity to use it. JL tend to me good if you push them and make the right case. 
  • stevoh
    Options
    bris said:

You can take it with a pinch of salt, getting a refund on an expired credit is very unlikely.

I may have believed he got an extension, but a refund......
    Yes that’s correct, answered at pace and it was some time ago. They gave me an extension on full value which was all I could ask for and very happy with that. Always tend to be happy with JL 
  • charleerose30
    Options
    stevoh said:

Elsien, we were completely isolating due to health reasons so couldn't make it to the shop sadly even if it was open.  I agree we could have used them online and I will discuss this with them I just purely wanted to know how Stevoh's chat with them went. :) 
    Hi there, I managed to get extension on full amount. It’s a long time ago now but I believe I mentioned the constraints with Covid and lack of opportunity to use it. JL tend to me good if you push them and make the right case. 

Thanks so much!  Has given me a bit of hope for when I call them - it's a horrid feeling thinking you've let over £500 go to waste :(
  • stevoh
    Options
    stevoh said:

Thanks so much!  Has given me a bit of hope for when I call them - it's a horrid feeling thinking you've let over £500 go to waste :(
    No worries. Good luck. I believe that if you just get a short extension, you can buy something and return it to get a longer term voucher. 

• Chris_English
    Options
    For others reading this thread, JL re-extend the card to a full two years if you spend anything on it or even if you just use the page on their website to check your balance.

I had a couple of cards with very high amounts on them (a few thousand pounds) and spent it over the course of about six years.
  • charleerose30
    Options
    For others reading this thread, JL re-extend the card to a full two years if you spend anything on it or even if you just use the page on their website to check your balance.

I had a couple of cards with very high amounts on them (a few thousand pounds) and spent it over the course of about six years.

Thank you - I learnt this a bit too late but will definitely do this in future!!
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thank you - I learnt this a bit too late but will definitely do this in future!!
    Most gift cards are like this - expiry is x years from last use. (where x is typically 2.) 

Note that Sainsbury's recently changed this rule, and only loading or topping-up a gift card will reset the 2 year clock. Spending or checking balance will no longer do so. 

(Most of my everyday spending is done on Gift Cards, because I get them at a discounted price via an employee perks scheme, so I'm familiar with the terms.) 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The ones companies like to give out (cash4all or something like that) last 2 years then start deducting the balance every month until zero, lost about £4 of a £20 voucher because I forgot about it
  • charleerose30
    Options
    The ones companies like to give out (cash4all or something like that) last 2 years then start deducting the balance every month until zero, lost about £4 of a £20 voucher because I forgot about it

Yes I was completely caught out by this too!  So cheeky.  I did complain and get it refunded though so they will give it back to you if you push.  You then have 1 month to use the balance or they start deducting again!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback