John Lewis gift card expired

Options
Hi, I recently realised that a John Lewis gift card expired at the end of Jan, so approx 1.5 mths ago. I contacted their card services and they are refusing to honour the credit.
Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and manged to get them to honour the credit.
I had expected John Lewis to be more flexible and understanding.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    John Lewis are finding the retail market to be very challenging in the last few years and they have been taking a less generous stance on customer service issues as they just don't have the profits to allow them to do so.

I don't think you will have much success unless you have a good reason why you couldn't use the card such as you were ill in hospital. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • stevoh
    stevoh Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I challenged them on this and they ended up refunding me. 
  • charleerose30
    Options
    Hi Stevoh,

I realise this is nearly a year later but I also have expired John Lewis gift cards.  How did you challenge them?  I have about £500 worth from our wedding so really need them renewed!

Thanks so much!
  • emmajones1976
    Options
    How long do the gift cards last for? Just out of interest.
  • charleerose30
    Options
    24 months - sadly most of that was Pandemic :(
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2022 at 1:08PM
    Options
    They were still open for a fair amount of time in the pandemic, and their online shop stayed open as well. The option of using the vouchers was still there. 
    Was there any other reason you didn’t use them that may help them to take a more sympathetic view? 

ETA their Twitter feed says that checking the balance resets the expiry date of done before they expire. Have you checked them at all, because if you have they may still be valid. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • charleerose30
    Options
    Just here to ask Stevoh a bit more about how his chat with them went!

Elsien, we were completely isolating due to health reasons so couldn't make it to the shop sadly even if it was open.  I agree we could have used them online and I will discuss this with them I just purely wanted to know how Stevoh's chat with them went. :) 
  • charleerose30
    Options
    Also, at the same time, why should gift cards have an expiry date on them - cannot believe this hasn't been lawed out yet.
  • emmajones1976
    Options
    Just here to ask Stevoh a bit more about how his chat with them went!

Elsien, we were completely isolating due to health reasons so couldn't make it to the shop sadly even if it was open.  I agree we could have used them online and I will discuss this with them I just purely wanted to know how Stevoh's chat with them went. :) 
    You were isolating for health reasons in January and February 2020?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback