International wire transfer gone wrong

Options
Hi all!

I recently (2 months ago) did an online wire transfer from a well-known share-dealing company in the US mistakenly not using an IBAN or BIC and have been trying to chase where my money had gone. The issue is that the trace with the dealer (eTrade) has said the money went to HSBC but I have a FirstDirect account, and they have 5 times denied they have not received the wire; I have also asked them to contact HSBC as the wire was sent to HSBC and they have not done so. It is extremely frustrating as I am hoping to benefit from IPOs post-lockdown and am concerned it wil takes months to get my money recalled. Any advice on this is welcome :-)

Comments

• sausage_time
    Options
    It's many years since I use etrade, but back then all they needed was SWIFT/BIC code, sort code, and account number (as well as account name, etc) - not IBAN.  What details did you give them?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Complain to the eTrade CEO, and possibly also the HSBC CEO.

• maxsteam
    Options
    eTrade is part of Morgan Stanley, an established company. You should submit a complaint to the SEC. In UK you are generally expected to complete a formal complaints procedure with the company concerned before the regulatory bodies will consider getting involved but, I believe, SEC do not require this step. 

There is nothing wrong with contacting the banks involved but you should not let eTrade pass responsibility. You are correct that it is likely to take time to get this resolved. If you provided the correct details, the funds should either reach you or get recalled and sent again.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First Direct is part of HSBC so the funds are almost certainly within the HSBC system. If your bank has not taken reasonable steps to trace the funds then it is to them that I would be complaining.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2021 at 3:18PM
    Options
    If insufficient details were provided on the transfer then the money is probably sitting in a suspense account in the bowels of HSBC.  In time somebody will get round to addressing it. Either send the money back or forward it on. Given the volumes the banks deal with on a daily basis. Be a question of waiting.  Not least that in these Covid times that administrative support will not be operating at anywhere near 100% capacity. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback