EPC for ASHP

I have had 2 heat loss calculations done for a new ASHP which say I need between 15,500-21,000 KWH for space heating however, my EPC is only 10.1K which means my RHI is a massive difference. 
Is there anyway to bridge the gap? The EPC was done 3 days ago & Heat loss around 2 weeks ago

Replies

• Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The only way to bridge the gap is to challenge the EPC.  I doubt that that will get you very far unless the EPC assessor made a mistake which you can identify and get them to own up to.  
    Reed
  • edited 22 February 2021 at 9:27AM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2021 at 9:27AM
    The problem with EPC's is that they are really just a box ticking exercise by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing (I've had six done over the past ten years and none of them have been much good unless I've followed them around)

TBH depending on what sort of house you've got and when it was built 10.1K kwh/year sounds a bit low. You could always challenge the EPC surveyor to find out how the EPC has been assessed (especially some of the assumptions that he's made). Did you keep an eye on him and discuss his assessment (I did and goy a couple of things changed where his assessments were incorrect)

How many quotes have you had for the heat pump, do you have anymore heat loss calculations. Have you tried doing your own room by room heat loss calc's to see how they stack up, they aren't difficult and there are calculators on t'interweb to make it easy.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • edited 22 February 2021 at 10:20AM
    shinytopshinytop Forumite
    2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 February 2021 at 10:20AM
    3.1K Posts
    Forumite
    The problem with EPC's is that they are really just a box ticking exercise by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing 
    Yes, basically they feed numbers into a software package that generates the result.  Ask the assessor a question and you will find they have little or no insight.  
    Reed
  • shinytopshinytop Forumite
    2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I just had mine re-done today to take account of my recent loft insulation. It was very close to the old one adjusted for said insulation, so I'm still just above the RHI limit.  Phew. 

BTW my assessor seemed quite knowledgeable when I asked her questions. 
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Even my heatpump with underfloor heating only manages a "good" rather than "very good" and some of the recommendations to move it from a D to a B would save an estimated £250 but cost me over £20k, giving a payback of around 80 years.
    Some of the assumed "savings" were more than I spend in the first place.

For some reason heating my hot water with a heatpump gets a rating of "poor" TBH all I wanted was an EPC which allowed me to get the RHI but the more heat it suggests I needed increased the RHI payments so I'm more than happy with my D rating (its a lot better than the low F that it previously had with storage heaters)

Several would be impossible or impractical (wind turbine and shower heat recovery system for instance) and its pretty easy to get into the realm of diminishing returns. Spending a couple of grand to save £100 or less seems pointless to me.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    3.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Yes, my new EPC recommended a wind turbine.
    Reed
  • StarfrogStarfrog Forumite
    226 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wonder how many people are happy with air source heat pumps especially the ones that tie them to an underfloor heating system. they seem to be made for each other.

——-
    12 x JASolar 455w Panels (5.46kWp south facing array) Enphase Microinverters IQ7+, Lux AC ESS 3.6kW, 5 x 2.4kwh = 12kWh Plyontech US2000C Battery storage, Lochinver far North, west coast of Scotland 
    3.1K Posts
    Forumite
    The thing about underfloor heating is that it can be hugely disruptive to retrofit, as well as expensive.  So if you build the house with underfloor heating then that's fine.  Otherwise you are never going to manage to fit it economically in more than a few rooms, basically only when you are hacking up the floor for some other reason.
    Reed
  • StarfrogStarfrog Forumite
    226 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The thing about underfloor heating is that it can be hugely disruptive to retrofit, as well as expensive.  So if you build the house with underfloor heating then that's fine.  Otherwise you are never going to manage to fit it economically in more than a few rooms, basically only when you are hacking up the floor for some other reason.
    Im doing a almost full renovation to my house and building a complete internal insulation wall on the inner side of the external wall around the whole house upstairs and downstairs also redoing all the electrics so having this new wall allows me to do that slightly easier and a good time to life the floors and lay overfloor underfloor heating, so plan on doing it then as it makes sense
    ——-
    12 x JASolar 455w Panels (5.46kWp south facing array) Enphase Microinverters IQ7+, Lux AC ESS 3.6kW, 5 x 2.4kwh = 12kWh Plyontech US2000C Battery storage, Lochinver far North, west coast of Scotland