Is my ISA allocation too much of the same type of funds

Hi,
I know these critique my allocation type questions have been done before but here goes.

50% Vanguard Lifestrategy 80% equity
25% HSBC Global strategy dynamic 
25% HSBC Global strategy balanced

All these funds are accumulation.

I am 50 planning on retirement in next few years, have several workplace pensions totalling approx £220-240k.

So is this too much of the same?

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those three will have massive overlap of underlying holdings but that's not necessarily a problem as such if you're happy with the resultant allocation.
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Without knowing how your pensions are invested or how much you have in cash savings etc , it is not that easy to comment .
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So is this too much of the same?

VLS and HSBC GS both use underlying passives but they go about it in a different way.

VLS management decisions are to have rigid asset allocation and home bias.   HSBC GS management decisions is to be fluid on the weightings.

Generally, you would have one or the other depending on what management decisions you prefer.   Personally, I would have neither with over £200k but my experience with investing is likely different to yours.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ^opm^^opm^ Forumite
    149 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Without knowing how your pensions are invested or how much you have in cash savings etc , it is not that easy to comment .
    They are just invested in fairly standard lifestyle funds with various companies like L&G, Prudential ,Aviva and Royal London from memory
  • ^opm^^opm^ Forumite
    149 Posts

Generally, you would have one or the other depending on what management decisions you prefer.   Personally, I would have neither with over £200k but my experience with investing is likely different to yours.

The actual value is around £420k in my ISA funds
  • ^opm^^opm^ Forumite
    149 Posts
    Cash around 20k
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^opm^ said:
    They are just invested in fairly standard lifestyle funds with various companies like L&G, Prudential ,Aviva and Royal London from memory
    Are you happy with the lifestyling/standard funds . Have you had a look around to see what else is available on their websites .
    Maybe if you have four , you might think about consolidating into just one or two with best fund choice/lowest charges ?
  • ^opm^^opm^ Forumite
    149 Posts
    The reason i have never consolidated them is that if at least one company goes bust etc with my pension then at least i still have the others. I know folk can say the funds are ringfenced etc but remember Maxwell.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^opm^ said:
    The reason i have never consolidated them is that if at least one company goes bust etc with my pension then at least i still have the others. I know folk can say the funds are ringfenced etc but remember Maxwell.
    You mean someone whose misdemeanours over thirty years ago led fairly directly to extensive pension protection reforms to ensure that this type of fraud wasn't repeated thereafter?
  • ^opm^^opm^ Forumite
    149 Posts
    Thats the badger.