Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

How much should we expect to pay, for disposal/removal of 10 tonne bags of wet leaves/branches?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

How much should we expect to pay, for disposal/removal of 10 tonne bags of wet leaves/branches?

edited 18 February at 4:50PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
12 replies 264 views
Danny_GDanny_G Forumite
674 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 18 February at 4:50PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Got about 10 tonne garden bags of leaves/ thin branches/ ivy from the wall and garden.

We want to dispose of it by paying somebody with a van/ or a gardener who does that as a job to make some room.
Even if they turn it into a mulch,

The bags will be in the front, so easy loading for them to come and collect

Want to get rid of it ALL quick, without it lingering on.

The bags will be in the front, so easy loading for them to come and 

Want to get rid of it ALL quick, without it lingering on.
and we need the Tonne bags back, so they will put the leaves branches and ivy in their vehicle and take it away to wherever.

What kinda of price range would we expect to pay for somebody to take this all away for us, and dispose of it?
and if you are a gardener/ landscaper how much would you charge for this?

and what alternatives are there?  (shred it all, get the green recycling bin people to collect it, which will be slow as only have a limited capacity)
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Replies

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can you take it to your local council recycling centre (tip) yourself?
  • sgunsgun Forumite
    674 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why you would need a gardener or a landscaper to do this job? It's a waste disposal job - have a look on Facebook, there are loads of people advertising waste disposal, just make sure they are reputable and aren't just going to dump it all in a local field/layby. 
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    965 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Landscape/Gardeners would be going to the tip in a signwritten van so aren't allowed to dump stuff.
    You need a mate, someone local who wants to make a bit of cash. As to how much, well that depends on what they think is reasonable for a few trips, a bit of hauling for someone who want's it got rid of quickly.
    Personally my answer was to hire a shredder and put the results on the garden.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• edited 18 February at 10:54PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February at 10:54PM
    If you are getting someone to remove this they MUST show you a current Waste Carrier's Licence. If they can't do that, the chances are that the stuff will never reach the recycling centre. However you look at this, they're handling commercial quantities of waste and my council's fees for that would start at £100. You'd need to estimate the carrier's time and costs on top, but at a guess  £60/hr is probably cheap.
    Patron to The Warning
    Things are more like they are today than they ever were.

• Sky_Sky_ Forumite
    517 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We pay for a second green bin because we have a large garden that was previously very neglected.  I did the sums and worked out that the £25 (annually) for the second bin is cheaper than petrol/car wear and tear for the multiple tip trips we were doing to dispose of garden waste--not to mention our time and effort!   It wouldn't be as quick but it's a fairly cheap and painless way of disposing of extra green waste.

Alternatively, have you looked into hiring a skip?  Not cheap but it might cost less than hiring someone to haul it away.
  • maxsteammaxsteam Forumite
    127 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    I have a trailer, a car with a tow bar and a dozen permits to visit the local recycling centre for free. If you know someone in a similar situation, I would estimate that it's about a day's work to move 10 tonnes (unless you are a long distance from the council's recycling centre). So, whatever is right for a day's work plus vehicle in your area would be my guess (£100?). If you are happy to pay more, there will be someone out there happy to charge more.
    It's not difficult to get the trailer permits and it's possible to hire trailers. Some people advertise "rubbish disposal" services and they will charge more than a friend with a trailer.
    The crazy thing is that what you have has value. If you keep it for a year to let it rot down, some people would happily pay a small amount for a trailer load.
  • maxsteammaxsteam Forumite
    127 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    Just something to be aware of which has been hinted at in other posts - it's obviously residential garden waste so, as long as it arrives at the tip in a non-commercial vehicle (such as a car and trailer with the trailer permit), the tip should not charge for it. However, if the people at the recycling centre can find a way to classify it as commercial waste, they will want to charge money to take something which, as I said in my earlier post, has value. There is no logic and the exact rules do vary from council to council.
  • FaceHeadFaceHead Forumite
    126 posts
    100 Posts
    In my local area if I took this to the tip, I would be able to dispose of it for free, so I'd hire a big van, e.g. a Luton, and take it myself. A day's work plus, say, £100 van hire. 

If I paid someone to take it and they took it to the tip, they'd have to c.£210 per tonne.

Doing it myself would be the most lucrative days work I've ever done. 
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FaceHead said:
    In my local area if I took this to the tip, I would be able to dispose of it for free, so I'd hire a big van, e.g. a Luton, and take it myself. A day's work plus, say, £100 van hire.
    The key words are highlighted. Every local authority has it's own rules. In some places you'd not get very far unless your van was registered and you had a permit. So, good for you, but the rest of us need to know what the rules are before setting out to save money like this!
    Patron to The Warning
    Things are more like they are today than they ever were.

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davesnave said:
    FaceHead said:
    The key words are highlighted. Every local authority has it's own rules. In some places you'd not get very far unless your van was registered and you had a permit. So, good for you, but the rest of us need to know what the rules are before setting out to save money like this!
    In my area even cars have to be registered, came about after problems with cross county border tipping