PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2021 Grocery Challenge

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another 10.18 spent today which takes my total for March to €313.18  that takes me €63.18 over budget. Out of the grocery budget I always keep note of cleaning and toiletries to see how much is spent in these areas. Only 1 item for household cleaning, a bottle of dreft washing up liquid for a €1.  I have stocked up in the toiletries department with 5 Nivea  foaming silk mousse body wash 5 for €10 and Nivea body mousse body lotion 2 for €6.49 .  My year budget is 3k which is still within budget .  €728.18/€750.  see you all on the april challenge.  
    Would it be better to have separate  budgets for these areas?   I definitely find it helps to separates out these areas out from general groceries.

• flossyblog
    flossyblog Posts: 259 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joedenise I  was interested to see what I spent on toiletries which then expanded to household items.  I was surprised to see that I barely spent over a €100 in each department.   I always buy when on special offer and stock up on certain items for the whole year . As I spend so little I don't think for me it's worth having a separate budget.    
    Grocery challenge year budget €3K Jan €190 Feb €225 Mar €313 Apr €202 May €224 June €329 July €518 Aug €231Sep €389 Oct €314 Nov €358 Dec €335  Total spent €3628
    2021Frugal living challenge year budget €12.250 Total spent €15.678

Jan €438 Feb €1200 Mar €508  Apr €799 May €1122 June
    1595 July €835 Aug €480 Sep €957 Oct €993  Nov €909 Dec €2698

• ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm declaring March completed at £66.73/75.  This gives me a saving over the first three months of the year of £32,83, which goes into the contingency fund for bulk buys or extras when DS3 is home.  See you all in April.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm declaring at £120.99/£124 for the month having been very firm with myself today about not dropping in to the supermarket on the way home from my walk so that makes my daily average spend £3.90.
    See you all over in the April thread, goldfinches. 

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had quite a major spend on food this month. I've stocked up on meat, game and fish and I think I've enough to last most of the year, the next major meat stock up will be turkeys in December.
    Total spent so far on food since Jan is 1334.26/3317.85 or just over 40% of my annual food/cleaning budget.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Declaring £261.54/£350 for March, have moved the remaining to our bulk fund. See you all in April
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    joedenise I  was interested to see what I spent on toiletries which then expanded to household items.  I was surprised to see that I barely spent over a €100 in each department.   I always buy when on special offer and stock up on certain items for the whole year . As I spend so little I don't think for me it's worth having a separate budget.    
    I am the same, find one budget does all
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Evening all. My final March total came to £449.78/ £300 spent. It was interesting to do an open tracking this month to understand what our possible numbers are. I set the April budget for £350 but maybe I should try for £400 or £375 just to try. 
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @JingsMyBucket have you done any analysis of what you are doing? My spendy-things are to start with the last list and "ooh, we could" mindset instead of a pared back list based on a meal plan, and the irresistibility of the special offers and YS stuff. 

My best things are trying to skip a week by substituting other stuff, using things from the store-cupboard and freezer, and sending DH with a list. Getting my milk and eggs delivered and freezing what I grew last year means I shop far less often and reduces the temptation a lot.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in for March, but might not be constant. 
    We (DD2 and I are moving at the end of March). My eldest daughter is still here with granddaughter, so the whole situation is a nightmare (but thats a whole different story).
    I will drop my budget accordingly when we are settled. We will now have access to an Aldi, a Tesco, HomeBargains and small Co-op on the doorstep (not sure what shops are further afield).So with those shops combined i should be able to pick things up on my days off, and not have to bulk buy because of the distance of where the shops are currently.
    Here's hoping,anyway ....
    I have finally moved, and so has daughter and granddaughter. We have no internet at the moment until Wednesday, so i will make this post quick. I budgeted £380, and was under by £136.33; as DD1 was buying the majority of her own shopping. I can now drop this for April; but will adjust this accordingly as the months go on, and we find our feet shoppong for two again. 
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure