Delivery rants for online shopping

deliveryproblems
deliveryproblems Posts: 4
First Post
edited 11 February 2021 at 4:17PM in Praise, vent & warnings
As avid online shoppers, myself and my other half have had our fair share of really bad delivery experiences. 

Rant #1: Why does the driver ALWAYS knock on the door when I'm in the middle of something!? Even during a COVID-19 lockdown and being stuck at home, the door still goes when I'm either on a Zoom call or in the bathroom and I get no warning at all!! 🤬

Rant #2: I'm really impatient. I understand that products are in a warehouse miles away but can I not have my order delivered on the same day everywhere I shop? 🥺  Perhaps my expectations are far too high but I've seen so many companies doing quicker delivery now (e.g. I can get my food delivered by Deliveroo in 30 mins, I can get my online shopping from some of my fave retailers delivered in an hour by Carryr and even groceries in 15 min from Weezy). Surely if the products are available in the nearest store they can just get delivered from there as I can't be bothered to visit the store - I shouldn't have to wait a couple of days any more!? I also don't want to pay a fortune for this either (I know, I want it all)... £5 or less seems reasonable, I guess.

Rant #3: !!!!!!!!!! Why is it acceptable to deliver my packages into my bin on collection day AND have the cheek to send a pic of it as proof of delivery. This is not a safe place. Why can't I just schedule a time and you come then!!!! In the past, I've had quite a few delivery drivers forge a signature to mark as delivered to move on to their next job. Seriously, this is not cool.

I'm glad I've now got these rants off my chest 😅😂 

*and breathe*

Have any of these happened to anyone else here? Or have you got any worse stories to share?

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In terms of your first one, most couriers do now give you warning, both DPD and Yodel show that the driver is on drop 1 of 120 or whatever so you can estimate when they will be with you. Yes they give a two hour windows, but its better than it used to be.

and for the second one, Argos offer same day delivery, as does Amazon Prime and Prime Now (where available). Otherwise as you say some stores are partnering with Deliveroo and similar to do same day delivery too. Some independent shops are walking their local area too doing drop off. But you should also be willing to pay to get the extra service. Or again Argos and similar have same-day collection available.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,852
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    As avid online shoppers, myself and my other half have had our fair share of really bad delivery experiences. 

Rant #1: Why does the driver ALWAYS knock on the door when I'm in the middle of something!? Even during a COVID-19 lockdown and being stuck at home, the door still goes when I'm either on a Zoom call or in the bathroom and I get no warning at all!! 🤬

Rant #2: I'm really impatient. I understand that products are in a warehouse miles away but can I not have my order delivered on the same day everywhere I shop? 🥺  Perhaps my expectations are far too high but I've seen so many companies doing quicker delivery now (e.g. I can get my food delivered by Deliveroo in 30 mins, I can get my online shopping from some of my fave retailers delivered in an hour by Carryr and even groceries in 15 min from Weezy). Surely if the products are available in the nearest store they can just get delivered from there as I can't be bothered to visit the store - I shouldn't have to wait a couple of days any more!? I also don't want to pay a fortune for this either (I know, I want it all)... £5 or less seems reasonable, I guess.

Rant #3: !!!!!!!!!! Why is it acceptable to deliver my packages into my bin on collection day AND have the cheek to send a pic of it as proof of delivery. This is not a safe place. Why can't I just schedule a time and you come then!!!! In the past, I've had quite a few delivery drivers forge a signature to mark as delivered to move on to their next job. Seriously, this is not cool.

*and breathe*

Have any of these happened to anyone else here? Or have you got any worse stories to share?
    Point 1. That’s just Sod’s law. 
    Point 2. You say you can’t be bothered to go into store but you want it delivered the same day? Wow Really ?? We are in the middle of a pandemic so count yourself lucky that you can get a slot inconveniently for you ‘a couple of days later’ 
    Point 3. Delivery drivers are all foregoing signatures as they are not allowed to pass their keypads around in the pandemic. Royal Mail included. 
    One point I do agree with you on though, is drivers putting deliveries in a wheelie bin is not acceptable or hygienic. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972 said:

*and breathe*

Point 1. That’s just Sod’s law. 
    Point 2. You say you can’t be bothered to go into store but you want it delivered the same day? Wow Really ?? We are in the middle of a pandemic so count yourself lucky that you can get a slot inconveniently for you ‘a couple of days later’ 
    Point 3. Delivery drivers are all foregoing signatures as they are not allowed to pass their keypads around in the pandemic. Royal Mail included. 
    One point I do agree with you on though, is drivers putting deliveries in a wheelie bin is not acceptable or hygienic. 
    Hey, thanks for your response!

A lot of the ranting was from pre-covid times. It's just that I've got so used to next day services and getting food delivered so quick now that I just keep wanting the overall service to get better and better, just getting fed up with the poor customer service levels - it's not doing the retailers any favours either as a lot of customers most likely won't go back if they're using someone rubbish. Understand all the current restrictions and all that though... maybe I should've led with that 🙈
  • jon81uk said:
    In terms of your first one, most couriers do now give you warning, both DPD and Yodel show that the driver is on drop 1 of 120 or whatever so you can estimate when they will be with you. Yes they give a two hour windows, but its better than it used to be.

and for the second one, Argos offer same day delivery, as does Amazon Prime and Prime Now (where available). Otherwise as you say some stores are partnering with Deliveroo and similar to do same day delivery too. Some independent shops are walking their local area too doing drop off. But you should also be willing to pay to get the extra service. Or again Argos and similar have same-day collection available.
    Great point! I just wish the kind of service Argos and Prime Now offer was widely available wherever I shop... Not going to lie, it's mostly clothing, footwear, etc. haha
  • This sounds more about being selfish than ranting 
    Sorry I didn't mean to come across like that. Throughout all of the rambling, my point was that it is possible to have such a service, the technology and workforce is there, but it seems as though the majority of the courier companies are a decade behind the times (technology-wise)...
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just go to the shop and see how much hassle it really is getting anything - covid or not! 
    In my opinion, home delivery has been a great thing in recent years, especially in a pandemic.
    Perhaps suppliers could include an extra box at the point of order though, such as 'I'll be having a poo at 3.05, please avoid calling then' ?
    A fiver to deliver anything to you at anytime you fancy it - really? How many people's wages do you think are involved in providing your frozen peas, let alone storage and vehicle costs etc? 
    Reading your list of rants again, I'm not surprised you're getting your stuff put in the wheelie bin :) 

• 2021BJ
    2021BJ Posts: 307
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The answer to #2 and #3 is when you and everyone else is willing to pay considerably more for delivery you'll get that level of service.  As you clearly are not (and most are not) you'll get what you're willing to pay for.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry, was this meant to be serious?
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I thought it was a joke from point one, but I guess not.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback