Posting to Europe post Brexit

Options
Hi. I haven't posted anything to Europe for over a year now and have never used the GSP before. Anyhow, have had an offer on an item from someone in Dresden, Germany so two questions really, 1. If I accept, do eBay sort out any customs fees due and 2. Does the buyer automatically have to go through the GSP or do I have to sort out the postage. Many thanks for any advice
;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,304 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Techno said:
    Hi. I haven't posted anything to Europe for over a year now and have never used the GSP before. Anyhow, have had an offer on an item from someone in Dresden, Germany so two questions really, 1. If I accept, do eBay sort out any customs fees due and 2. Does the buyer automatically have to go through the GSP or do I have to sort out the postage. Many thanks for any advice
    If the item is enabled for GSP (you can't opt in after sale) then you merely treat it as a UK sale and ebay do the rest. You post it to the ebay hub and ebay then deal with export numbers, VAT and onward postage.

If you haven't opted into to GSP on the item then if you send it yourself you will need an export number (I can't remember what it is called) and will need to make certain declarations on the customs form - Royal mail have a guide if you google it. I think ebay still sort out the VAT for the buyer though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin said:
    Techno said:
    If you haven't opted into to GSP on the item then if you send it yourself you will need an export number (I can't remember what it is called) and will need to make certain declarations on the customs form - Royal mail have a guide if you google it. I think ebay still sort out the VAT for the buyer though.
    EORI number.
    There's a massive backlog in getting one.

• soolin
    Options
    RFW said:
    soolin said:
    Techno said:
    EORI number.
    There's a massive backlog in getting one.

Thank you, I think you have had to tell me that twice now, and as soon as I close this reply box I will have forgotten what it is again :( 

I don't currently sell internationally so it isn't something my brain feels it necessary to remember, I might write it down though as it is useful for threads like this. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thank you Soolin and RFW. I am selling my collection of German jigsaws which are quite popular in Germany so may get more offers so want to know what to do 😁. They are all up with the GSP ticked and I posted one today via GSP so I believe once it gets to them I am off the hook as far as INR etc is concerned which is always a relief with oversees postage. but I didn't know whether the purchaser had to opt in or whether it is automatic - any ideas?

;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • soolin
    Options
    Techno said:
    thank you Soolin and RFW. I am selling my collection of German jigsaws which are quite popular in Germany so may get more offers so want to know what to do 😁. They are all up with the GSP ticked and I posted one today via GSP so I believe once it gets to them I am off the hook as far as INR etc is concerned which is always a relief with oversees postage. but I didn't know whether the purchaser had to opt in or whether it is automatic - any ideas?

It is the seller that enables GSP so as long as you have opted in then that is how an overseas buyer sees the option to buy. 
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Soolin. I can relax now if I get any more offers from outside UK.
  • patient_investor
    Options
    I have similar question.
    I already sold item to EU, printed invoice with CN22 form, and Royal Mail has accepted it. At no point I've been asked my EORI. What do I do now? Do I keep track on EU sales, where do I register then, if anywhere?
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
  • noitsnotme
    Options
    I have an EORI number for my business (two now actually as you need a separate one for Northern Ireland).  However I’m not entirely clear on the requirement for private individuals needing one.  From what I can tell you do need one if what you are sending is because of a trade, so it appears if you sell on eBay you do need one.  But if sending for personal use, so a present to friends/family, it appears you don’t need one.

So how would Royal Mail tell which of those two scenarios your parcel falls under?  The only identifying difference would be the box you tick on the CN22 - sale or gift.  Now I’m not suggesting for one second that anyone lies on the customs declaration but it does seem as though it could be abused.

You can apply for an EORI number here - https://www.gov.uk/eori
  • patient_investor
    Options
    I am sole trader. Sold item, send with invoice and CN22. At no point was asked my EORI. Now where do I keep track of my sales, why I need this EORI if I don't put in on the parcel? Or maybe I supposed to and I didn't.
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
  • soolin
    Options
    I've no idea about EORI numbers but the HMRC site might be a place to search for a start
    https://www.gov.uk/eori
    There's also some link son here that might help
    https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/who-needs-eori-number
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback