Ryanair "Just wait"

Options
I'm looking for direction on an issue with Ryanair, no doubt common with many.
We originally booked in 2019 some flights for 2020.  By the time they came around, Ryanair offered a voucher refund or rebook.  We chose to rebook and were lucky enough to get away.  The difference in the rebook price, was to be given to us, as a cash refund.
I left it until December 2020 to pursue, as saw the headlines about delays etc.  Only to find that it wasn't an automatic refund and that we must enter our booking reference on a seperate page.  The refund would then be paid in 3 weeks.  So I did as instructed.
3 weeks passes, checks again - to be told there is no update, no data available on where you are in the queue and to 'just wait' as there are thousands to process.
Not even a projection of a date.  Just crazy.  
We originally paid on a credit card in 2019, guessing section 75 is out of the window based on the timeframe involved.  Are there any other avenues to go down?
So far, have done a Ryanair complaint (no response).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "Only to find that it wasn't an automatic refund and that we must enter our booking reference on a separate page.  The refund would then be paid in 3 weeks.  So I did as instructed.
    3 weeks passes, checks again - to be told there is no update, no data available on where you are in the queue and to 'just wait' as there are thousands to process."

Given that they are only one week outside the indicated timeframe I would probably leave another 7-14 days and revisit then if necessary.

I don't see a S75 claim. From what you indicate you flew and this is an issue regarding the difference in fare and it was you that did not complete the refund request paperwork correctly.
  • sri_130
    Options
    There wasn't any paperwork to complete correctly, nothing was advertised - other than an email saying it was automated, which 7 months later it wasn't.  In any event, I should expect lack of comms based on their reputation alone. At the 7-14 days point, I'm unsure what options there are.
    We took the voucher on the basis the flights were cheaper + the value of the refund.  If the flights were 'like for like' the purchase decision is different.  We'd have opted for a full refund (I couldn't image an 8 month wait for over £1k so anyone else has my sympathies) if the voucher/refund wasn't an option.  They delivered on the flights, not with the rest of the purchase - but an open ended timeframe just doesn't stack up - 8 months on.
  • sri_130
    Options
    Just received a response to the complaint with Ryanair (spooky timing).
    "unfortunately we can't issue a refund until your voucher has expired".
    Haha.  Now that's 3 different variations on when and how, we'd receive our money back, all via different responses from the same company.  The voucher expires in June 2021.  Why fill out a form, to go in a queue.  Why say it's being processed when it's not.
    Utter madness.  
  • sri_130
    Options
    To provide closure, today, out of blue an email saying the refund has been processed. 
    Tempted to donate it back to them, maybe they need funds to figure out how to form proper processes.
    Not a single clue what they are doing. 
    Good luck anyone in the same position. Be prepared for differing answers and directions.
    Ryanair no more for us.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So they repaid broadly in line with the time frame they gave you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback