Frozen Electricity Meter and end of fixed term contract

Options
Hi there.  Wondering if someone can please advise me.  Sorry, a bit long winded.
Aug 20. Noticed my meter had frozen and reported via email to my supplier.  (With my previous supplier, I had a smart meter so didn’t need to read the meters myself and assumed this was the case with the new supplier).  Just so happened, the next day a meter reader turned up.  Read the gas and confirmed that the electricity meter was frozen.  I again emailed my supplier.  They eventually replied around 10 days later.  Meter reader, apparently, did not report any issue with the meter.  Supplier agreed to replace the meter but because of Covid, they told me that everything was delayed and they would be in touch.  At the 3nd of Dec, I escalated a complaint as I’d heard nothing more about the replacement.  I also informed OFGEN Next day, I was given a date for the meter to be replaced and OFGEM wanted confirmation from me to confirm the issue was now resolved.  Two days prior to the date of replacement, the contractor, giving no reason, cancelled the appointment and asked me to rearrange with my supplier.  I’ve informed OFGEN this, obviously not confirmed resolution, and am currently waiting to hear back from both supplier and OFGEN.  

My issues are: 1.  I’ve not had one single statement of account from my supplier since I joined them in Feb even though the gas meter was officially read in Aug.  Equally, they’ve not raised or lowered my direct debits.  I’ve done an exercise with my old supplier bills so am now aware of what my average monthly usage is over the previous 2 years.  2.  My fixed rate contract finishes soon and will be put on a higher rate.  Can I leave this supplier even though the meter is frozen meter?  (I’ve asked a couple of suppliers but they’ve never answered my emails).  3.  After the fixed term contract finishes, can I cancel my direct debits and offer to pay monthly?  I’d really appreciate some advice in this matter as this is really playing havoc with my mental health.  Thank you.

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
     I’ve not had one single statement of account from my supplier since I joined them in Feb
    Welcome to the forum.
    What does your online account show?
    BTW, it's the wrong forum; should be in Energy, where it will get more replies.  (It's a very common mistake.)
  • Jackiehmoore
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and pointer, Gerry1.  Have copied over to Energy and off to check my online account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback