We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best EV SUV for 3 baby seats?

13»

Comments

  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Newnoel said:
    THanks all - less concerned about the isofix points or the rear seats and more concerned about the internal width across the middle row
    Is there another EV that offers greater width?
    Cannot help with three seats, but this website is helpful. Regarding the width, the car is like living room in the back - especially our 6 seater. I've fitted in a whole cot bed without needing to dismantle it in ours, a Merc GLS probably has more room in the back, but anything smaller (Q7/XC90 etc) wouldn't be any bigger than a X. 
     https://thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/suv/tesla-model-x/


  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    @gzoom, do you own a Tesla?  I can't quite tell.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,734 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @gzoom - I've always thought the Tesla X to be somewhat quirky, but you present it as rather desirable.   It's still enormous, though.
  • I sat in a Tesla X.  I was expecting luxury and lots of expensive soft plastics.  There were hard plastics everywhere.  It didn't signal quality to me at all.  I can't stand everything being on touch screen.  To my mind it is dangerous as you HAVE to look away from the screen to do something critical like demist the windscreen.  
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 7,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I sat in a Tesla X.  I was expecting luxury and lots of expensive soft plastics.  There were hard plastics everywhere.  It didn't signal quality to me at all.  I can't stand everything being on touch screen.  To my mind it is dangerous as you HAVE to look away from the screen to do something critical like demist the windscreen.  
    Or just press the button on the steering wheel and say “Demist the screen”
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2021 at 6:14AM
    I sat in a Tesla X.  I was expecting luxury and lots of expensive soft plastics.  There were hard plastics everywhere.  It didn't signal quality to me at all.  I can't stand everything being on touch screen.  To my mind it is dangerous as you HAVE to look away from the screen to do something critical like demist the windscreen.  
    Its a good thing we live in a free country and no one forces anyone to buy a Model X ;).

    If you have kids though that touch screen is simply amazing. Yes if you have a plastic fetish maybe look else where, but no other 7 seater car is quite so dramatic, every day I sit in it I still cannot quite believe they built this thing. Coming up to 4 years on the rear doors are still an engineering marvel every time they open/close.

    For similar money you can ofcourse get an iPace, which is still a fine car, but its essentially like an electric F pace......Personally for me life is about trying new stuff, and a conversational family wagon the X is most certainly not.

    I absolutely love ours, the only car I would half thinking about swapping it for is a Porsche Taycan, but that's barely a 2+2 car let alone a family wagon.......though right now am working up a plan to try and convince my wife to get one, but if we do get one it'll complement the X not replace it :).



  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,734 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    gzoom said: 
    If you have kids though that touch screen is simply amazing. 


    I assume you can't watch TV while driving?

    I like the TESLA cars, but never had the fortune to sit in one, be realistically near to owning (though Model 3 may be a possibility), or any of their competitors from a price-point.  Despite that, from what I can tell, the "quality" is different to that of traditional car makers. 

    My take on it is that other car manufacturers make better cars that are electric. TESLA make the best electric cars.  So, you are making that choice, to buy an electric car, or to buy a car that is electric.  I think I'd want the focus on the good electric car (range / performance) above the good car that happens to be electric.
  • Hi _ Thkas you for all your recomendations! 
  • Newnoel
    Newnoel Posts: 378 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks to those who made constructive comments.
    On balance, it looks like the X is the best option for us for now. We have been on the waiting list since October, so hope to take delivery soon. 
    I've since found this article, which others may find useful as it compares internal dimensions. The Tesla X was by far and way the widest vehicle in the analysis:
    Best electric SUVs 2021 | CAR Magazine
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.