New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Have I lost out?

26 replies 536 views
spud17spud17 Forumite
4.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
On the Saturday 2nd of January I bought an item from Ebay, £2.99 + £3.10 postage, Royal Mail 2nd Class, from a business seller with an estimated delivery Saturday 9th January.
I wasn't worried when it didn't turn up on the estimated date.
On Monday 11th I received a text from Yodel saying my delivery was on it's way.
When I checked the tracking link it showed as item delivered at 11.06 am, signature required.
That evening I got home to find nothing, no card through the door, checked the garden, in and around the wheelie bins, my neighbours are either retired or WFH none of them had seen or had anything for me.
I fully trust all my neighbours.
I contacted the seller politely asking if the could look in to it, but they have not yet replied after 48 hours.
I suspect I've lost out because the tracking will show as delivered.
Do I have any leverage because the seller switched delivery methods? 

Move along, nothing to see.

Replies

• edited 13 January at 5:03PM
    KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January at 5:03PM
    Have you tried the tracking since? 

Occasionally for a delivery I've received a parcel number which showed as delivered straight away because it was a historical number, which hadn't quite yet been recycled onto my parcel within the system. 
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've checked the tracking several times. 
    Also I've checked the garden, bins, neighbours and even the water butt.
    Latest,

• cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Can you contact yodel to ask them where it was delivered? Most carriers register gps these days for each delivery - but not sure if yodel do. They might have a photo on file of where it was left. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will lose a case for INR (item not received) if you open one, but you should still do so and tell the seller that you want them to dispute delivery.  When the case closes in their favour you need to appeal it.  
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you contact yodel to ask them where it was delivered? Most carriers register gps these days for each delivery - but not sure if yodel do. They might have a photo on file of where it was left. 
    I'm pretty sure that Yodel won't have anything to do with me, their contract is with the seller, not me.
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will lose a case for INR (item not received) if you open one, but you should still do so and tell the seller that you want them to dispute delivery.  When the case closes in their favour you need to appeal it.  
    Thanks for confirming, I thought that's what would happen.
    Thanks especially for the second part about asking the seller to dispute delivery.
    I suppose they don't have to dispute delivery, I can only ask.
    Any suggestions on time scale?
    Do I have any come back because at purchase delivery was RM, no options, but it seem to have been sent using Yodel?
    Just to add, I've searched everywhere and questioned neighbours again each evening after work the last 2 days. 

• GabbaGabbaHeyGabbaGabbaHey Forumite
    997 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    So you paid for delivery by Royal Mail, but the problematic delivery was by Yodel?

Somebody more knowledgable than me may be able to say whether you could dispute it because of that.
    Philip
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you paid for delivery by Royal Mail, but the problematic delivery was by Yodel?

Somebody more knowledgable than me may be able to say whether you could dispute it because of that.
    That's the only wriggle room I can think of, as you say, needs someone with a bit more knowledge.

• edited 13 January at 10:10PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January at 10:10PM
    It’s not going to help with an INR unfortunately. It is poor practice to just change a delivery method without asking, or at least telling the buyer first, but delivery confirmation is all that matters for an INR.  A lot of sellers are opting for couriers instead of Royal Mail at the moment, I did it myself before Christmas as half the things I  sent by RM just disappeared or were taking weeks to arrive, but a message to the buyer first is always recommended. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks soolin.
    I should be in bed and asleep, but thought I'd just check in.
    Another thing, should tracking details have been uploaded at dispatch? 
    I'm sure other sellers have emailed dispatch confirmations with a tracking link.
    All I've had from the seller is the "we got your order" email. The first I knew about an alternative delivery was the text Monday morning from Yodel.