New Post Advanced Search

Severntrent

5 replies 96 views
Millsy_13Millsy_13 Forumite
3 posts
First Post First Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
I have been having trouble with severntrent, I think my bills are too high, I live in a 3 bedroom mid terrace by myself. I'm paying £48 a month over 12 months. I have rung multiple times saying it can't be right, and each time they come up with a different excuse from its to do with the year my house was built or the street I live on. How many people live in my house, how much water I use whatever the excuse they all say they can't reduce my bill unless I go on a meter which I cant have currently because I share my water main with my next door neighbour. I have talked to both of my neighbours one pays £27 a month over 8 months and the other pays a yearly fee of £130. Obviously I am paying alot more, is there anything I can do? 

Replies

• edited 13 January at 11:59AM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January at 11:59AM
    You have to apply for a meter. If a meter cannot be installed you will be offered an 'Assessed Charge' at the single occupant rate.
    This will be £167pa or possibly £200pa
  • edited 13 January at 8:33PM
    Brewer20Brewer20 Forumite
    395 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 13 January at 8:33PM
    Yes apply for the meter, the meter is installed at the water entry point in your property at the stop tap. If not possible they'll advise otherwise, they do a survey first.
    Also with ST and we went on a meter about 3 years ago, about £420 ish we paid annually then, around £24 per month set DD now. So worth pursuing.
  • Millsy_13Millsy_13 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank for the advice, I did apply for a meter but because I share my water feed with my neighbour, they can only put it inside which they won't do with covid at the moment. Will ask them about an assessed charge. Just fed up with the way they have treated me making up excuses and then finding out it's a lie. 
  • edited 15 January at 12:26PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January at 12:26PM
    If you’re not on a meter/assessed value then your bill is based on the rateable value from about 1990. More information here.
    https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-bill/unmetered/
    It’s a set figure that is nothing to do with number of occupants or the amount you use. Severn Trent don’t have any discretion to change it. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • EllieMay26EllieMay26 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Depending on your income you may qualify for a reduction on your water charges - Severn Trent Water have a scheme called The Big Difference Scheme where you may be able to receive up to 90% off the average water bill. The application is assessed based on household income & if successful the reduction is applied for 12 months, you can then reapply. 
    May be worth a look - you can apply via - www.bigdiff.co.uk 

Hope this helps