Do you insist your children eat a paricular menu item when eating out?

in MoneySaving mums
30 replies 2.1K views
13»

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think children should be able to choose what they want and read the menu, tell the waiting staff what they'd like and eat it with a knife and fork!  It's part of teaching them social skills.  I'd offer advice when they were really young (like leaving room for a pudding). 
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've always found it sad that lots of pub menus seem to think children subsist on fishfingers/chicken nuggets/sausages and pizza.... always accompanied by chips.  How are children supposed to develop their eating habits when faced with that?  Far better to offer a small/half portion of the adult menu where possible.  My son used to take advantage of my parents generosity by always scanning the menu for the most expensive steak available.  They fell for it every time!  It's now pay-back time for him as his 5 and 7 year old's try to emulate him.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2022 - £1 a day challenge £730/£730
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £828/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JGB1955 said:
    I've always found it sad that lots of pub menus seem to think children subsist on fishfingers/chicken nuggets/sausages and pizza.... always accompanied by chips.  How are children supposed to develop their eating habits when faced with that?  Far better to offer a small/half portion of the adult menu where possible.  My son used to take advantage of my parents generosity by always scanning the menu for the most expensive steak available.  They fell for it every time!  It's now pay-back time for him as his 5 and 7 year old's try to emulate him.
    My brother is 51 and still does this to my parents, doesn't cross his mind that he should temper his order to his budget (mind you that would be tap water). When we went to Miller and Carter his steak cost the same as mine and my Dad's and it was my Dad's birthday! He doesn't have children to take the same liberties 
  • SootySweep1SootySweep1 Forumite
    190 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi
    There were times when I stopped my children ordering something because I knew from previous experience it was something they wouldn't eat however I never forced them to order / eat something they didn't like or wouldn't enjoy. Going out for a meal is supposed to be a treat so why would you spoil that ?
    From an early age both preferred the adults menu to the kids menu so they'd order something off the adults menu & share. Medium rare steak & chips was a particular favourite ! 
    Jen 
  • MnoeeMnoee Forumite
    460 Posts
    Forumite
    JGB1955 said:
    I've always found it sad that lots of pub menus seem to think children subsist on fishfingers/chicken nuggets/sausages and pizza.... always accompanied by chips.  How are children supposed to develop their eating habits when faced with that?  Far better to offer a small/half portion of the adult menu where possible.  
    A lot of 'pub grub' places buy what's basically microwave meals and reheat them. If it's not pinged, then it's deep fried, with the exception of a grill for steaks and burgers. I know it's not true of every pub, but having worked in a few chains, it's an awful lot of them! 
  • SootySweep1SootySweep1 Forumite
    190 Posts
    Forumite
    JGB1955 said:
    I've always found it sad that lots of pub menus seem to think children subsist on fishfingers/chicken nuggets/sausages and pizza.... always accompanied by chips.  How are children supposed to develop their eating habits when faced with that?  Far better to offer a small/half portion of the adult menu where possible. 
    I totally agree but also in fairness to pubs/restaurants its also about options that will please the majority. The problem they have with half portions is what do they do with the other half ? If smaller portions weren't possible my two would often share.
    When mine were younger & they had friends round I tried offering them a decent home cooked meal but not always successful as it wasn't what they normally had at home. In the end I gave in and stuck to pizza / hotdogs etc as I knew they would eat it and took the view that it wasn't my responsibility to educate these children's eating habits.
    Jen
  • Mumtothree82Mumtothree82 Forumite
    30 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    maman said:
    I think children should be able to choose what they want and read the menu, tell the waiting staff what they'd like and eat it with a knife and fork!  It's part of teaching them social skills.  I'd offer advice when they were really young (like leaving room for a pudding). 
    I agree completely. I have 3 boys (one with ADHD and Autism) so I teach them to order themselves (even more important for my special needs son for his social skills).

I always let them order what they want when we go out to eat as it’s a very rare treat for us and we are out to enjoy it. The only exception is if we go to Toby Carvery as I always insist they have a roast there rather than the other food they offer.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree about the carvery. The roast is the whole point of going there. Conversely it's good to go to a range of restaurants so they can get used to different types of cuisine. 

To go off the point a little : I think it's good to not plate up meals at home when the menu allows especially with roasts. Children like to help themselves and will often start to try unfamiliar things when they can see adults eating with relish without being poisoned by vegetables! 🤣
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JGB1955 said:
    I hate the “& chips” menus for children.
    When my daughter was a child children’s meals were half portions.  Now I have grandchildren it’s junk & chips!
    My grandson does often want proper food, prawn cocktails, spare ribs & steaks are favourites.  
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    28.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Older thread - posted in January. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.