Do you insist your children eat a paricular menu item when eating out?

Options

Comments

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My children get what they're given, if they don't eat it they can't be hungry. It's all high quality nutritious food, I don't bend to their whims or I'd be throwing out hundreds of pounds worth.

(I am a millenial who calls her cats her children. No actual children were harmed in the making of this post.) 
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If we took our children (or grandchildren) out for a meal, then it would be a treat - and they could choose anything they wanted from the menu (within reason - I did draw the line when granddaughter no 2 asked for lobster!) - but then we did expect them to make a reasonable meal out of it.   Why would you take your children out for a meal, choose something you know they dislike - and then expect them to eat it?   Why?   Just why?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    thorsoak said:
    If we took our children (or grandchildren) out for a meal, then it would be a treat - and they could choose anything they wanted from the menu (within reason - I did draw the line when granddaughter no 2 asked for lobster!) - but then we did expect them to make a reasonable meal out of it.   Why would you take your children out for a meal, choose something you know they dislike - and then expect them to eat it?   Why?   Just why?
    Lobster lol

Exactly, and I I bet the parent gets to choose what they really like and avoid waht they don't want!!

I'm the same with my nephews, go for it, I would rather them eat and enjoy it, I do. 
  • annabanana82
    Options
    I've got a friend that has to check the menu before they go, if they don't have chicken nuggets then she cooks and takes them with her for her Daughter, which I find a bit odd.

One of my Son's picked a mixed grill for his 11th Birthday, he did eat it all but never asked one for one since as I think he remembers the stuffed feeling after more than the enjoyment of the meal. 
    My other son ate pizza nearly every night for two weeks whilst we were on holiday once, he might not have sickened himself of if but it did me. 

It's not my favourite eating establishments, but I've always found the buffet restaurants good for children and allowing them to try new things. The deep fried milk - still can't believe it's a thing?? But that wasn't a winner.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do not have children so it's different but I do not agree children should have 'adult' things like maybe a Magnum ice cream or perhaps expensive cakes..... ready for the onslaught lol 
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I do not have children so it's different but I do not agree children should have 'adult' things like maybe a Magnum ice cream or perhaps expensive cakes..... ready for the onslaught lol 
    When I was a child I don't think Magnum's were a thing, but I usually had a Sparkle Ice lolly and a feast was a special treat. There is little difference in price these days so not sure it makes much of difference now other than size?
    I can't abide seeing children sat in pushchairs with a big family bag of haribo to themselves, 

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Options
    As a grandmother who hasn't seen her grandchildren for well over 18 months, I shall be treating them to a meal as soon as I can (and granddaughter could even have lobster if it is allowed on her now-vegetarian diet) - and as for Magnum icecream an expensive treat - in Co-op and Sainsburys they are 4 for £2!   They wouldn't go for expensive cakes - Granny makes the best cakes, cream cakes, cupcakes cookies and gateaux!    But seriously - if you don't encourage children to try different tastes - how do they learn?    
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    thorsoak said:
    As a grandmother who hasn't seen her grandchildren for well over 18 months, I shall be treating them to a meal as soon as I can (and granddaughter could even have lobster if it is allowed on her now-vegetarian diet) - and as for Magnum icecream an expensive treat - in Co-op and Sainsburys they are 4 for £2!   They wouldn't go for expensive cakes - Granny makes the best cakes, cream cakes, cupcakes cookies and gateaux!    But seriously - if you don't encourage children to try different tastes - how do they learn?    
    I think its trying to establish what "an adult thing" is I get something less rich than a magnum for a small child and taking into account the size of something you expect them to eat. But I wouldn't consider the content of a main meal as an adult thing.
    I much prefer restaurants where the children's menu is the same as the main menu just smaller portions. My children eat the same as us at home and they should have the same options when we eat out. But if we are eating out then it's a treat and should be their pick.

But homemade cakes beat shop bought hands down.

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Newly_retired
    Options
     Y children and grandchildren have always preferred the main menu, not the children’s one where it is mainly junk food. As for imposing something they don’t like, that is absurd. A meal out should be a treat, not a punishment.
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mere bloke chipping in (assuming chips OK) :).
    We'd love just to be able to meet and take our granddaughter out for a meal, any meal, at the moment. I wouldn't choose something I didn't like off the menu at a restaurant so why should children.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback