We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I proceed

2

Comments

  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    neilmcl said:
    Get their insurance details from askmid.com and claim directly from their insurer, although you may find it difficult to prove without witnesses.
    Thank you I have updated my original post, didn’t want to offend just highly charged because of the fact I have already lost my job due to covid and now because some folk are devious I have to find money to fix this mess now.
    I do have their details from askmid and neighbours photographic evidence of them arriving and parking elsewhere in her paid spot and also a witness that saw them pull up to where my car was parked. I know it seems trivial but paying out for a new electric wing mirror and having it fitted plus now having a mess on the wing and door is just something I can’t afford and the principle of them just not apologising or acknowledging anything, the bloody neck of it, I wouldn’t dare behave that way, plus it is considered hit and run according to 101, they have asked me to come in and make a statement but was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt to be decent human beings, but they obviously are not.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Loubie47 said:
    snapped wing mirror and the damage to the wing and passenger door
    £350 excess
    my car is worth about 2k.
    Depending on the extent of the damage to the wing and passenger door and whether it needs replacement panels or is a case of polish-it-out and local spray, the costs of repairs (through insurance) may exceed the value of the car :(

    The garage may be able to give you a more reasonable quote for "make legal and prevent further deterioration", possibly using breakers-yard parts, that is far more amenable.  Possibly not a world away from the excess.
  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Buy yourself a new mirror cap,  pop it on and get on with your life.  Start involving insurance companies and it could go on file that you park in places that cause your car to get damaged and you could find your premium increases.

    Also, next time you park, push in your mirror to make it harder to knock.
    apologies I was highly charged and obviously didn’t write the full details in the post.

  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    Loubie47 said:
    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!
    Also I park where my apartment gives me a permit for, how is that considered parking in a more suitable place to be hit? Where else do you suggest that permitted tenants park then 🤔
    I used to park on the road outside my house in a busy corner of suburbia. My cars got reversed into from the drive opposite at least three or four times, and hit once by a car that rolled away up the hill, writing next door's car off by punting it into a lamp post.

    Now, I park in my own driveway, down a lane where most cars that go past are people we know.

    Which do you think carries a greater risk of my car being hit while parked? Why wouldn't insurance recognise that simple fact of life?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I used to park on the road outside my house in a busy corner of suburbia. My cars got reversed into from the drive opposite at least three or four times, and hit once by a car that rolled away up the hill, writing next door's car off by punting it into a lamp post.

    Now, I park in my own driveway, down a lane where most cars that go past are people we know.

    Which do you think carries a greater risk of my car being hit while parked? Why wouldn't insurance recognise that simple fact of life?
    Insurance companies do not look at your address and where you park in detail when assessing your premium - it is all a computerised assessment of future risk based upon past claims.

    If you lived in a postcode where there were claims for damage to parked cars every other month and then moved to a postcode where there are claims for damage to parked cars once per year, that will reflect in premium calculations.  It will not reflect to any greater or lesser extent for anyone, and most definitely not down to looking at individual parking spaces to determine individual premium.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I used to park on the road outside my house in a busy corner of suburbia. My cars got reversed into from the drive opposite at least three or four times, and hit once by a car that rolled away up the hill, writing next door's car off by punting it into a lamp post.

    Now, I park in my own driveway, down a lane where most cars that go past are people we know.

    Which do you think carries a greater risk of my car being hit while parked? Why wouldn't insurance recognise that simple fact of life?
    Insurance companies do not look at your address and where you park in detail when assessing your premium - it is all a computerised assessment of future risk based upon past claims.

    If you lived in a postcode where there were claims for damage to parked cars every other month and then moved to a postcode where there are claims for damage to parked cars once per year, that will reflect in premium calculations.  It will not reflect to any greater or lesser extent for anyone, and most definitely not down to looking at individual parking spaces to determine individual premium.
    But having a history of not-at-fault, parked-at-home claims will certainly raise their eyebrows (and premiums).
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 January 2021 at 11:07AM
    Loubie47 said:

    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!

    I don't remember reading anything about damage to your paintwork.  The fact your post now says "edited Today at 9:40AM" makes me wonder if you've conveniently now added that little detail...
  • lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:

    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!

    I don't remember reading anything about damage to your paintwork.  The fact your post now says "edited Today at 9:40AM" makes me wonder if you've conveniently now added that little detail...
    She did apologise to you at 9.50 in fairness 
  • lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    neilmcl said:
    Get their insurance details from askmid.com and claim directly from their insurer, although you may find it difficult to prove without witnesses.
    Thank you I have updated my original post, didn’t want to offend just highly charged because of the fact I have already lost my job due to covid and now because some folk are devious I have to find money to fix this mess now.
    I do have their details from askmid and neighbours photographic evidence of them arriving and parking elsewhere in her paid spot and also a witness that saw them pull up to where my car was parked. I know it seems trivial but paying out for a new electric wing mirror and having it fitted plus now having a mess on the wing and door is just something I can’t afford and the principle of them just not apologising or acknowledging anything, the bloody neck of it, I wouldn’t dare behave that way, plus it is considered hit and run according to 101, they have asked me to come in and make a statement but was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt to be decent human beings, but they obviously are not.
    Unfortunately some people do not consider themselves accountable.   

    If their insurance doesn't want to pay then it would certainly be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand mirror.  

    Without pics we cannot advise on what may be possible yourself to make it look better 
  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    I have an I apologised for being overly charged 
    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!

    I don't remember reading anything about damage to your paintwork.  The fact your post now says "edited Today at 9:40AM" makes me wonder if you've conveniently now added that little detail...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.