We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I proceed

Loubie47
Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 3 January 2021 at 10:40AM in Motoring
Hi I came out yesterday to find someone had hit my parked car outside my flat, I was parked in my apartments permitted area, fortunately they left their wing mirror cover right next to my knackered wing mirror and badly scuffed passenger door and wing, so I came in and googled the make and model of the cover and found it was a Ford C-Max... after some short investigation I found that said car had driven around the block after smacking my car and parked elsewhere to avoid being found I’m guessing...
long story short I attempted to ask around for owner with no joy, took photos of damage to my car and theirs, I also attached a note to their windscreen informing them that I was aware they had hit my car in another street and then driven away without leaving details, that I had their wing mirror cover and photographic evidence of the state of both cars  and to avoid more problems could they ring my mobile... I was informed by neighbours that they arrived at around 2am being very loud and another neighbour verified that they then parked around the back after said accident approximately 10 mins later amd stayed over night at an address to which they don’t live(tut tut) another neighbour was furious as they had parked in her paid for spot so she also took photos...
they have decided to avoid all contact so I have called 101 and gotten a crime log number, how do I avoid having to go through my own insurance and paying the hefty excess please..
I have visited ‘mid’ and paid for a search but am I allowed to contact their insurance without their knowing?
many thanks.
«13

Comments

  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 January 2021 at 9:56AM
    Buy yourself a new mirror cap,  pop it on and get on with your life.  Start involving insurance companies and it could go on file that you park in places that cause your car to get damaged and you could find your premium increases.

    Also, next time you park, push in your mirror to make it harder to knock.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You found an S-Max mirror cover.
    There was an S-Max nearby without a mirror cover. It's believed to be driven by a selfish muppet.

    While it's certainly circumstantially compelling, it's not exactly the smoking gun...

    Yes, you can contact their insurance, and they'll contact their policyholder for their side. Expect them to deny it.
  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!
    Also I park where my apartment gives me a permit for, how is that considered parking in a more suitable place to be hit? Where else do you suggest that permitted tenants park then 🤔
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What is the cost to repair the damage?
    What is the excess on your insurance?
    What is the value of the car (without damage)?
    Can you live with any of the damage un-repaired?

    I suspect the only way to avoid going through your insurance and paying the excess is to pay for the repairs directly.
    Sorry that is not what you wish to hear.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 January 2021 at 10:33AM
    You only pay excess if you actually make a claim against your insurance.

    What is the extent of the damage to your vehicle?
  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 January 2021 at 10:49AM
    I need to get a quote for the snapped wing mirror and the damage to the wing and passenger door and will do that first thing tomorrow morning, I am fully comp with protected no claims and a £350 excess, my car is a 60 plate grand modus with 50k miles, so I’d say only worth about 2k but thanks for your reply I’ll get the ball rolling in the morning.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!
    Your post didn't say all that, it just mentioned the wing mirror!
  • Loubie47
    Loubie47 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    neilmcl said:
    You only pay excess if you actually make a claim against your insurance.

    What is the extent of the damage to your vehicle?

    they have obviously driven down past my parked car, and reversed back scraping my passenger wing, and passenger door and also snapping the wing mirror off, it’s quite a mess on both cars plus left their wing mirror cover next to my broken mirror

  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Get their insurance details from askmid.com and claim directly from their insurer, although you may find it difficult to prove without witnesses.
  • lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Loubie47 said:
    Excuse me??? Had you read the post correctly you would of understood that they hit me damaged my paintwork on the wing and passenger door and completely snapped my wing mirror and then drove off!!! They have left me with a bill and THEIR wing mirror cover...
    I suggest you re read the post and stop being mean!!!
    I don't think that he was being mean.  I have re-read your post and cannot see where you mention anything apart from a broken wing mirror.

    He isn't saying that you parked incorrectly.. more that the insurance may well now have your car park as an increased risk as there has been an accident there.  That is part of their premium calculations

    Get your quote for repair, a quote for a 2nd hand mirror off eBay and see if it's worth the hassle of claiming off the insurance.  Cost vs the stress and hassle of chasing.


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.