British Gas Home Care

Options
sopera
sopera Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Anyone else having this problem I have British Gas Home Care I last had a boiler service in 2019, so last year I paid the charge for insurance and assumed I would get a service at some point in the year allowing for the issues. I had a service booked for 4/1/21 cancelled yesterday and rebooked for March. My policy expires in January therefore I paid a policy last year and didn't get my service. Now BG gas want to increase the cost, when contacting them all I got was if you don't like the service you can leave

Comments

• moneysaver
    moneysaver Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not with BG anymore too expensive.  If they have not done a service as per the contract ask for a refund of service cost.

Get an independent to do it for you & pay for it with the BG refund

Moneysaver
  • LizG5
    Options
    I am a British Gas Homecare customer - Boiler and Heating.  Year-on-year, British Gas have applied their annual service contractual obligation in a very fluid manner.  As a customer, I can not book my next boiler service until the previous service had expired (i.e. exactly twelve months elapsed).  When allowed to book a service, the next available appointment was always between 8 and 12 weeks away.  As a result, where my contract began on 28th February with that first service completed in March, my current contractual years service was not due to be done until 13th January, that's the end not the beginning of this current contractual period.  That service has now been cancelled.  British Gas will be in breach of its contractual obligation if it has not serviced my boiler on or before 27th February 2021.  This is a situation wholly caused by British Gas policy, hampered by Covid guidelines, but not completely Covid related. 
    I telephoned the number sent me by text.  After the press-this-press-that options, I was told to call back in February (automated message).  I tried the online chat.  Waited for Mohammed who passed me on to a different cue, which kicked me out sighting 'agents no longer available'.
    So, no annual service which puts my family at risk plus possibly voids my home and contents insurance should something major occur. No  provision by British Gas to lodge a complaint via text, telephone or online.  Not even the option within my online account to cancel the auto-renewal of my policy.  Where can I go from here?
  • alj26
    Options
    LizG5 this is my problem too. No service and my insurance could be questioned. I guess we can only call back at the suggest time in February and state their are in breach of their contract and demand a refund for the past year?

• CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We have the same issue. They advise they are only able to deal with emergencies. Let them dare try to increase their annual fee at renewal.  Also anyone notice how they keep plugging their Homecare service at the moment. They are unable to fulfil their current oblations without trying to get more customers. 
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Currently have engineers on rolling strikes due to forced implementation of a new contract. To cover the gaps they have been using local independents for repairs but there are delays.

They are trying to implement a 12% increase on renewal , no call outs just their "annual service " so I'm cancelling the renewal and using a local guy for less than half their cost for the same cover. 
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    'Where do we go from here"? Simple, you vote with your feet and do as Browntoa has done. BG have actually done you all a favour, as it highlights what terrible value these policies are.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I took Browntoa's action years ago and use a superb local plumber who charges a fraction of the price. The same person fitted new boilers; Veissmann(with a 10 year warranty)  to my house and a separate annex, for a fraction of the British Gas quote for each.

• beedeecee
    beedeecee Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    BG service has been terrible in spite of good service in the past; 1 month wait for a repair - which luckily I resolved myself with a bit of fiddling, but still concerned it may recur. Impossible to get a service and as has been said now they want to a big price hike.
    Rather concerned about relying on a small local provider (eg response time etc) - keen to hear what experience others have had and what deal they have struck to ensure some kind of guaranteed response time (not that BG are providing that any more!
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We pay for electrical cover within the Homecare cover and had an issue with the electrics in the kitchen. They would not come out because it was not an emergency. We had to engage an private contractor. I phoned BG and they offered £20.00. However I have gone down the complaint route for the full amount for £70.00. We will see what happens.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback