We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Sold Car on FB_Am I at risk or overthinking
Comments
-
Don't bother. Just wait a day or two until you get your new V5C, then simply do a keeper change online from that.K2S04 said:DVLA office is closed till tomorrow. So, I can only ring them tomorrow and update of the situation. I suppose that should be a wrap from my side.Should i ring the buyer to ensure all is sorted or not bother? My mind says, not bother!
Not your problem.0 -
No insurance is their problem, not yours.K2S04 said:So, my worst fear just came true, the buyer just rang me that police has taken the car from them as he did not have insurance and not registered to his name. He wants me to come to the police station. I have told me to show them
1) Sales email receipt (He did not show that as it was with his friend)
2) Take out insurance
3) And, if the police still wants me to come, i can come.
What should I do nexT?0 -
So, I received a letter from the constabulary about the seized vehicle as I am the registered keeper and also, fortunately, my new V5. I went to DVLA website and told them I have sold the vehicle to the new keeper and provided his address & email. I then rang the station and shared the same information. The gentleman told me that's alright and he has made a note on the file and will communicate with the new keeper.
Out of courtesy, I rang the new owner and told him the same (DVLA updated and email sent to you) and that he will be able to get the car back from the station. He asked me why do I not take the insurance on the car? I was perplexed and reminded him that he needs to own an insurance to drive the car (he now owns). He then replied, 'Too expensive the insurance is.' I was not sure what I should say next. Therefore, I ended the call after reiterating that he is the new keeper and should get the new V5 soon.
I am now left with two doubts:
a) If the new keeper does not go to retrieve the vehicle, I am assuming the police will dispose it. Will they chase me to recoup any of the storage fee? I do not think so but just want to be sure.
b) Considering the dubious behavior of the new buyer, whether he has given me the correct address (I think it is correct because his friend (I called him as well) who came to see the car confirmed the address is correct. He also said I am not sure why my friend is not sorting it out as I was there only to help him with the sale). In case, the address is wrong, I believe the person living at that address would revert DVLA telling the same. Would I then become liable of this mess?0 -
K2S04 said:He then replied, 'Too expensive the insurance is.'

I am now left with two doubts:
No.
a) If the new keeper does not go to retrieve the vehicle, I am assuming the police will dispose it. Will they chase me to recoup any of the storage fee?b) Considering the dubious behavior of the new buyer, whether he has given me the correct address (I think it is correct because his friend (I called him as well) who came to see the car confirmed the address is correct. He also said I am not sure why my friend is not sorting it out as I was there only to help him with the sale). In case, the address is wrong, I believe the person living at that address would revert DVLA telling the same. Would I then become liable of this mess?
No.2 -
So your buyer thought that the car came with free insurance included, courtesy of you? Doh....No free lunch, and no free laptop
2 -
Sorry to post here again! I know it’s foolish but this issue is stressing me. I should not have done the sale to them (keeps going in my mind). It felt like the guy is not keen on getting the vehicle back. If it’s due to cost of insurance, I wonder if it’s better for him to SORN it and use a recovery van to get it out and dispose/sell to avoid the mess he is heading into.Another point to note is the letter I received today says the check on the vehicle for insurance was done at 11:25 when technically, the car was still insured as I had cancelled the policy at 11:35. Also, even if I didn’t cancel the policy and police had asked the buyer for insurance, he still would have not been able to show it as I wouldn’t name him on my insurance. So, clearly it is a problem the buyer has created for themselves.
I am just wondering what/how did the police stop them at the first place.
As a seller, should I have been more diligent? I said about license, tax, and insurance to them:
sorry for ranting again but I do get a peace of mind from your responses.
night0 -
In my experience the insurance updates seem to update onto MIB overnight which I thought was fairly efficient. I'm pretty certain they don't have time machines to back date them.
My guess is car was stopped for driving in a manner which caught the police's attention. The driver was asked to confirm his details and the police couldn't trace a policy which covered him to drive. So entirely his problem.
As regards what you could have done differently, other than waiting for the address update to be completed before you sold the car, nothing.0 -
His car, his problem.K2S04 said:It felt like the guy is not keen on getting the vehicle back. If it’s due to cost of insurance, I wonder if it’s better for him to SORN it and use a recovery van to get it out and dispose/sell to avoid the mess he is heading into.
But he's caught in a catch-22 situation.
He can't get it out of impound without proving insurance.
If he buys insurance now, it won't cover him for release from a stop before the policy was started.
His only option to get the car back is expensive specialist insurance.
It is not your problem. You sold it prior to the stop.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards