We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Sold Car on FB_Am I at risk or overthinking
All,
I had my really old car that I put on FB for sale, and a party came, saw the car and I sold it to them. I have got their email address, phone number, and address. When i tried to complete the sale online (DVLA) it did not recognise my V5 number (because last week I sent them my updated address). Therefore, I am guessing that is why the system did not recognise it. I explained this to the buyer and they were happy with it.
On asking for their intent, they said they still plan to use it for driving.
So, as of now, I have
1. I have given away my car to the buyer in exchange of cash
2. I have emailed them the SALE agreement over email (Do not have signature but a response from them in email saying accepted)
3. They have my details and they mine.
4. I will get my V5 next week and I will give them updated slip and update DVLA.
So, have I
1) Unnecessary exposed myself to something I should not have?
2) According to online search, i can sell without the latest V5.
3) Anything else, I should do immediately?
Please advise.
K
I had my really old car that I put on FB for sale, and a party came, saw the car and I sold it to them. I have got their email address, phone number, and address. When i tried to complete the sale online (DVLA) it did not recognise my V5 number (because last week I sent them my updated address). Therefore, I am guessing that is why the system did not recognise it. I explained this to the buyer and they were happy with it.
On asking for their intent, they said they still plan to use it for driving.
So, as of now, I have
1. I have given away my car to the buyer in exchange of cash
2. I have emailed them the SALE agreement over email (Do not have signature but a response from them in email saying accepted)
3. They have my details and they mine.
4. I will get my V5 next week and I will give them updated slip and update DVLA.
So, have I
1) Unnecessary exposed myself to something I should not have?
2) According to online search, i can sell without the latest V5.
3) Anything else, I should do immediately?
Please advise.
K
0
Comments
-
You changed the address on the V5C last week (online?) and haven't had a replacement V5C through yet.
No, there's nothing terrible going to happen - just, when you get the replacement V5C through, change the keeper online.
They run a small risk of you being dodgy and lying about the V5C. Worst case? You never change the keeper, they have to pay £25 and fill in a V62 to get a V5C in their name...0 -
Cancel your insurance.1
-
Yes! I changed it online (moved before end of year ; It says 5 working days before I get it). So, I am expecting it to come next week. I showed them the email about it. I was just worried if they (not that I think from the meeting) do something dodgy etc. I told them I will leave the tax on until they get the new V5.AdrianC said:You changed the address on the V5C last week (online?) and haven't had a replacement V5C through yet.
No, there's nothing terrible going to happen - just, when you get the replacement V5C through, change the keeper online.
They run a small risk of you being dodgy and lying about the V5C. Worst case? You never change the keeper, they have to pay £25 and fill in a V62 to get a V5C in their name...
0 -
If it's taxed it must be insured and you'd be responsible for that but your insurance shouldn't be on the car now.K2S04 said:
Yes! I changed it online (moved before end of year ; It says 5 working days before I get it). So, I am expecting it to come next week. I showed them the email about it. I was just worried if they (not that I think from the meeting) do something dodgy etc. I told them I will leave the tax on until they get the new V5.AdrianC said:You changed the address on the V5C last week (online?) and haven't had a replacement V5C through yet.
No, there's nothing terrible going to happen - just, when you get the replacement V5C through, change the keeper online.
They run a small risk of you being dodgy and lying about the V5C. Worst case? You never change the keeper, they have to pay £25 and fill in a V62 to get a V5C in their name...0 -
I was thinking to cancel just the insurance and leave the tax on! May be i should cancel both.williamgriffin said:
If it's taxed it must be insured and you'd be responsible for that but your insurance shouldn't be on the car now.K2S04 said:
Yes! I changed it online (moved before end of year ; It says 5 working days before I get it). So, I am expecting it to come next week. I showed them the email about it. I was just worried if they (not that I think from the meeting) do something dodgy etc. I told them I will leave the tax on until they get the new V5.AdrianC said:You changed the address on the V5C last week (online?) and haven't had a replacement V5C through yet.
No, there's nothing terrible going to happen - just, when you get the replacement V5C through, change the keeper online.
They run a small risk of you being dodgy and lying about the V5C. Worst case? You never change the keeper, they have to pay £25 and fill in a V62 to get a V5C in their name...0 -
I would cancel both, if the new owner hasn't insured it and crashes it tonight you'll be liable for the third party claim.K2S04 said:
I was thinking to cancel just the insurance and leave the tax on! May be i should cancel both.williamgriffin said:
If it's taxed it must be insured and you'd be responsible for that but your insurance shouldn't be on the car now.K2S04 said:
Yes! I changed it online (moved before end of year ; It says 5 working days before I get it). So, I am expecting it to come next week. I showed them the email about it. I was just worried if they (not that I think from the meeting) do something dodgy etc. I told them I will leave the tax on until they get the new V5.AdrianC said:You changed the address on the V5C last week (online?) and haven't had a replacement V5C through yet.
No, there's nothing terrible going to happen - just, when you get the replacement V5C through, change the keeper online.
They run a small risk of you being dodgy and lying about the V5C. Worst case? You never change the keeper, they have to pay £25 and fill in a V62 to get a V5C in their name...0 -
You should cancel both, it’s the new rules. The new owner is responsible for taxing the car.Mortgage free
Vocational freedom has arrived0 -
As soon as you do the keeper change, the tax will be cancelled immediately. Don't overcomplicate it further.3
-
I am trying but it looks like for Tesco insurance, the standard hours will be Monday next.0
-
The offices are shut now as per telephone message, so it will be tomorrow ...0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards