The Best Is Yet To Come

Options

Comments

• slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay made it to the weekend.  Last night quickly before bed I sorted through some of my storage cubes and was able to empty 2 with things for the charity shop, and then fill with bits that I will need, but that had been hanging around in my bedroom looking messy.  I still have more to do, but feel I have achieved some good progress.

I have the loft man coming to give me a quote on Sunday.  XH put some boarding down but as he clearly was not any good at DIY, it doesn't feel very safe.  I would like it all boarded properly and a light and ladder fitted so we don't have to keep a ladder on our landing.  It would be great to have a good sort out at the same time as I can only assume everything up there will need to come down.  I am on the look out for boxes that I can fill for the charity shop.  I know that there are 3 sets of children's golf clubs up there that will no longer be the correct sizes.  Might try to sell those.

Still waiting to hear from the college re the bursary - DS sent an email last night to see if there was an update as it said we would hear in 2-3 days.  Maybe we will hear over the weekend.

Not much planned other than the usual - washing, revision and cleaning the house.
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • slm6002
    Options
    Just heard that DS is 'Definitely getting the bursary' and it will all be finalised in July time.  That means he has free travel to college and possible a free lunch each day he is there.

A nice email to have received before the weekend.
  • slm6002
    Options
    Was up early and realised that my shoulder blade is now pain free which is a great feeling as it has been niggling me for the last few days.  It is good to move without pain.

Today I really need to get the downstairs cleared.  I have the bags of bedding and airing cupboard bits, boxes of things for the charity shop as well as the general mess of our house.  I need to get it all out and gone asap.  I still have 1 box to sort in my room.

DS is having breakfast and then we will start some revision.  First exam (Art) is tue and wed.  Hopefully this will then spur him on a little more.

Load of washing is already in the machine, but there will be no drying outside I feel
  • slm6002
    Options
    Half way through the week already.  Lots has happened in the past few day.

Payday yesterday and I need to do my monthly transfers to savings accounts - will do that next.

Spent a fortune on food after leaving work today.  I have scanned and put it away.  Just need DD to empty the dishwasher so we can set it going again.  The kitchen will then be cleanish again.

Just had to buy some more bras as I managed to put them in the tumble dryer and they no longer fit.  Annoyed with myself.  Anyway more are on there way from M&S and should arrive by Sat.

Got my appointment through for the MRI that they want to do for my ears.  Never had one of those before, so that should be interesting

DS's first exam is coming to an end.  He came home yesterday really positive, so hoping that will have continued.  Will keep revising for the others tonight.  I also have my dance class and DD1 needs help completing a job application form for her perfect job.  She is so down from all of the other rejections and thinks there is no point applying as she wont get it, and the realisation that school is almost over.  Just need some positive news for her, so she can concentrate on revising herself.

Its going to be a busy evening I think.  I need to also cut the grass again before it rains - might get time today but if not we will just have a jungle outside.
  • slm6002
    Options
    Yay we made it to the weekend, and a long weekend too :)  Not too much planned more that the usual cleaning and revising.  That is other than today where I am doing a workshop in wire wrapping, a beginners course for jewellery making.  Money from mum paid for it and I am hoping it will be fun.  My next course I have booked is the day after exams finish so will be a well deserved treat by then.

A few weeks ago I went to the local repair cafe to get DS's bike mended, but several other bits on the bike needed attention.  Well the pedal fell off again, so I have contacted the people who taught me to ride a bike as they have 2nd hand bike for almost free.  They say they have a couple of bikes for him to choose from so we will go and collect it next Saturday.  This will allow him to cycle to and from school as DD1 drives him normally.  She is on study leave too so depending on when her exams are will mean he has to get to school by himself most of the time.  The exercise will also do him some good, and once exams are over he can meet with friends.

Right better get off the sofa and get ready, load the washing machine and wake DD1 (needs to feed cat for a friend)
  • slm6002
    Options
    Been busy so far, but also managed to enjoy the sunshine for a little while.  I mowed the lawn and then saw lots of things saying not to mow it in May!  Never mind its too late now.  All washing was completed and dried on the line yesterday which I love.

I am aware that my mum and uncle are coming to visit in just over 2 weeks, so I am trying to declutter a little and keep on top of cleaning jobs.  I have mentioned that quite a lot of our time will be taken up with exams especially as they are arriving before school breaks up for half term.  I need to see if I can make the garden look a little better before they arrive.

The new neighbours are mending at least one part of the fence today and know about the other part so hopefully they may get around to that part too if the parents are bringing the equipment to help.  Either way at least they look like they are going to keep things nice, unlike previous tenants.

I've given the children a lie in so will wake them up shortly and get on with things.  Hopefully DD's colds have improved today enough to give them some energy.
  • slm6002
    Options
    I don't think I have achieved an awful lot today.  I am glad we had a more productive day yesterday.  We have revised a subject that DS has hardly had a teacher for.  Need to do a little more for that and then concentrate of this weeks 2 exams.  It is the week after that is crazy, although this coming week is full in my diary.

It hasn't rained as yet but has been looking like it is about to most of the day.  Next door don't seem to have managed to sort the fences yet, even though they have been working on it most of the day.  I didn't get to the garden centre, but maybe at some point during the week, although not sure when.  We did pick up the hot sauce from olio for mums OH to put on everything when he visits.

I will make my packed lunch soon, ready for tomorrow 
  • slm6002
    Options
    Yesterday I test drove my new car (new to me anyway).  It goes against all of my instincts as it will drain my savings but current car is showing signs of giving up / coughing and spluttering, and I had planned on this next but it is a lot of money (to me anyway).  It is also an automatic which up until yesterday I have never driven and was very strange.  The poor salesman was having to act as a driving instructor rather than a salesman on the test drive. I will still have my pots for everything, just no major savings for a little while.  My dad is coming to have a look at it on Thursday just to give me peace of mind, and it is from a good showroom so should be ok.

I ticked off 2 jobs yesterday at work which were big things on my objectives for the year.  In theory if the end of the year was now, I would have completed enough to qualify for the pay rise.  It is not guaranteed but I would be put forward for one.  So fingers crossed for next year.

DD1 has her 1st day of art exam today.  DS has his first proper exam tomorrow too so we are now starting a couple of very busy weeks here.  I don't know about the children but I am very much looking forward to them being over on 14th June.

Right I must get on with things and get to work - only a half day today :)
  • debtfreewannabe321
    debtfreewannabe321 Posts: 7,222 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Slm how are you doing, When do you get the new car? We have just had a new car delivered (company car so we don't get a choice) and it is also automatic and I have driven them before but nearly off-ed myself in the process by slamming on the break thinking it is the clutch :lol: so when we got the new one the first few journeys I really had to stay present and was continually saying to myself only use the right foot, only use the right foot :lol: Don't need to change gear, don't touch the stick to the left :lol: 

DD has had one GCSE so far but they don't start in earnest until next week. Then it is like two a day :confounded: it is reminding me of my GCSE days thirty years ago! 

MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2 complete! EF total £1922! ~ NSD 7/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £462.76 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £97,285.47
  • slm6002
    Options
    Hi DFW, my dad is coming to look at it tomorrow after work and then the final decision will be made.  If all goes well it should be all ready by Saturday (having a few final checks at the garage before I get it).  The problem is I need to pick up DS's bike on Sat PM in a place I don't really know.  I would like the old car for that as not sure I can navigate as well as deal with the automatic.  I guess as long as it is after we get back it would be ok still.  Then I have to figure out what I do with my current car.  I know it is worth more than the £200 part exchange that they offered but how much hassle will it be plus paying 2 insurances for it?  Do I just take the £200 and know that is that?  I just looked online to see how much to scrap it and they say £293 so more money than what I can part exchange it for. 

Right must get back to revision duties and then dinner
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport