We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Powers’s mortgage free thread

1…5152535557

Comments

  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    March is going well. I’ve got on top of a health issue and feeling better for it. I had a bit of a wake up call that I’ve barely cycled any distance in the last few months and I’m leading a cycling trip at Easter- whoops. Have upped the mileage for March and am on 164k for the month already.

    mortgage news- we have sorted out the end of fix switch and locked in a rate of 4.6 (i think, paperwork is on laptop!) for two years. I’m going to miss our 1.7% fix 😭 the fix on the other part of our mortgage is due to end next year so hopefully rates don’t rise too much. We can cope but would rather not pay more!

    I’m also doing really well at keeping on top of my volunteer commitments and not getting overwhelmed, just trying to chip away at them gradually each day. I’m fairly bad at building new habits though, as picking up the pace on these tasks and on the cycling meant that keeping on top of the house had slid somewhat. We managed to get back on track last week, I’m fine with not having a super clean house but it had passed a point.

    Have a good week wannabes x

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    woah and now it’s nearly May!

    We’ve had a busy month, a big health scare for T. Luckily diagnosis is not as scary as we first thought (heart) and now he is on the mend with a plan in place to potentially remove the offending body part (gall bladder).
    I’ve also had jury service, some big stuff going on at work and our volunteering commitments ramp up during the spring and summer. It felt all a bit whelming yesterday.

    Grounding thoughts:

    1. We are fit and healthy
    2. We have a financial buffer
    3. We get to do amazing things to inspire young people and adults
    4. The children are settled and happy
    5. My work is interesting and fulfilling
    6. We live close to nature and can enjoy the seasons

    What more could I possibly need?
    Powers x

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    this must have been before the OP was adjusted onto part 2 as they have since almost equalised.

    Part 1 £36,040

    Part 2 £36,094

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Today is a big day as I have my interview for PHD funding. I’ve done a lot of prep and will do some more this morning. Work have been really supportive, although I have been working my socks off recently!

    I’m feeling a bit whelmed by my voluntary commitments again, one in particular that will be over in July but needs a substantial push to get it over the line. I’m trying to do a little each day rather than waiting until I have a whole day to commit (which then makes me grumpy). The other commitment is brilliant, it makes me buzz, although does still have its share of admin and risk assessments!

    T has applied for a few jobs with no luck. He’s been super busy though. Plan is to push harder on employment after our hols in July. There has been some DIY progress, although maybe not as much as we first thought!

    I’ve managed to rebuild my emergency fund, so spare savings are sat in holiday pot. I’ll review in next couple of months as should have increase to my income and pay the last instalment of my student loan. I’d like to start making OPs again but feel we should keep a bigger buffer in savings as T not working. He has over a years of expenses saved, although would like to keep that above 6months when he gets back to work.

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Decision made, OPd £100 from my personal account. Treated myself to a day thinking of the future!

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,299 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Hope interview goes well for you.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    thanks Beanie! I think it went well, I felt prepped and confident. Now an eight week wait to find out the outcome 😱

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    spendy week! We’ve been booking accommodation for our upcoming holiday to Norway. We’re camping most nights and trying to spend 3-4 nights in one place to reduce stress of moving and it makes it easier to self cater. So excited to wake up seeing fjords, mountains and glaciers 😍

    I’m going for an internal promotion at work, which is strange with the PHD application timing. I haven’t had a job interview in 5 years and now 2 in a few weeks. The PhD funding matches current salary so the promotion makes sense whatever the outcome. Need to get job application in!

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I got the job! And the interviewers were super positive about the PhD funding, feeling that it would be a win win. It’s great feeling so supported at work, I think some would focus on the disruption and uncertainty, but they really see the benefits. Fingers crossed!

    Immediately nothing changes, I’m still doing the old and new jobs which has been the case since January. Will be good to be on the higher pay and will mean I’ll get incremental increases for 3 years.

    Loose plan is to boost savings and restart OPs. Our target is a career break once youngest is settled at college/in work. So 5-6 years, and first step is to get mortgage gone 🎯

    Two weeks til Norway! Got a lot to do by then x

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    life admin win: wills executed and paid for ✅ 💸

    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £6,055
    MFW 2025 #27 £5,075
    MFW 2026 #29 £650 / £1000
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.