Saving to take son away. Camping/caravan this year :) plus legoland florid when hes 15/16 I hope

Options

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can definitely do better than 0.01% it would be worth having a quick look to see what savings accounts your bank(s) have and pick the one with the highest interest rate. That bit of interest helps boost savings. 
    - if you give a clue who you bank with, we may be we to say which savings account to go for.
    - ISAs are not worthwhile saving in, unless high income earners. We (basic rate tax payers) are allowed to earn at least £1k in interest, so don't concern yourself with that.

Your monthly pension sounds about right if you get an £8k lump sum. But again, add it to your list as something to check properly when up to it.

Plastic (uPVC) for your house means next to no maintenance required.

Write a list of everything you need to do, if it takes you 6 months to get them all ticked off it doesn't matter. The main thing is they are written down and eventually done 😊

Good luck with the wrapping.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello i hope you are feeling ok. I reckon if you ring Virgin and explain your son is using it during corona they can do something with your bill and improve your broadband as it is a lifeline for you? It is worth a try. Stay strong you are doing really well planning ahead for future changes to the house. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope you are feeling OK today and got to see your son. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Skint_yet_Again, thank you. Yes I am making lists...but dont seem to be getting anywhere! 

@MovingForwards, I am with nationwide-as that's who mortgage was with, and just stayed with them.  Wow, I think I learnt £6 interest on my isa last year 🙃 I have ( more than I thought) £2025 in an isa. I did look and I've opened a start to save ( but think you can only pay in £100 each month ( and it's for 24 months) so am just slowly going to move my isa money over there, as think its 1% interest, which for instant access ( which I need as it's for car/boiler etc emergency pot) which was best I could do. 

Yes, need to check pension AND sort out who get money.

Yes new PVC sound way to go with windows AND  facour boards. 

Thank you, I ran out of wrapping paper ( so had to use Christmas paper lol) only on 2 pressies. 

I am still reading your diary :) around page 50 something. 

@savingwannabe, thank you,  my bf said over on sat night ( hes my bubble, and because I had DS and cant have him on my own) and we did look at deals. We did try to call virgin...but it was so busy they just hung up and said to call pack another time. We have found another internet deal :) as I am now out of 12 month contract. 

@longway2go thank you, I did see him, we had chippy team-up dad kindly paid and transferred the takeaway money into my bank :) plus half for DS new matress ( from ikea) when I can get it delivered. 

Ds was V excited about legoland, I am so scared I am going to be run down for it OR vivid wont let it happen ( which I understand ) he loved his pressie. 

I slept lots yesterday. Carpet got laid on ds birthday, but moving stuff back with PA, ds wore me out-its not all moved OR sorted. Was going to do it today. But I've had a very emotional day today. Didnt sleep well. PA ended up collecting ds from school. I tool hom home in my PJ. I am now in the bath. 

Think I've sold some of ds shoes on fb £6 for 2 brand new pairs. I just want the space. I NEED to put more stuff up but havent had the energy.  I looked on fleabay last night. But dont have money watched some items but wont bid on them. OH won some pokamon cards and has paid by PayPal ( I told him off, I said PayPal gave him protection one of these cards was £12 with postage 1 card 🙃 it's a whole new world. 

I order OH a card from estay, it's a homemade pokamon one ( through top cashback off course :) ) and a Lego heard from there too ( my cash back is £17 something right now-that will go towards the shed when we get to £20) 

I was looking at bits on IKEA the other night for when bf moves in :smiley: I would like a cube unit, bookcase and the matress for DS. Bf said he would pay half for cube unit and book case from next payday,  my dad has given me half for matress and I have  £100 saved for matress ( so £35 towards half of book case and cubes, so think I need 40 more a-plus delivery- So think I may order them all in march/April-thinking I may need to raid shed money, and pay it back, although I still have £50 left from my Christmas money -the other £30 went on a second hand coffee machine-BUT has saved me countless Starbucks and Costa trips. ( I must have had 3 a week-i think I've had 2 since christmas)  Just pay the £1.39 aldi pods. 

Tomorrow plan is lie in ( as always) pop to aldi for bits with PA to get bits  for fakeaway  made by bf. School pick up, and sort 1 box in small spare room.

I HAVE  at least 20 ish from perfume gift set size ( I keep all boxes) to 50/60liter storage box AND a  paper work cupboard to go through. ( all in time) beds need to be changed and pick up meds ( I am on weekly dosset boxes unfortunately due to past and overdoes) 

Thank you all for replying. You keep me inspired. 

Right my bath waters cooling down so time to get out. Going to chill in bed, and give the cats some treats mum pushed through letter box for my 2 fur babies :) 

Xxxc
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Try not to think about what ifs, all it does is mess with your head. Have you spoken with the GP about this side of your health and got meds / treatment / other appropriate help?

That £6 is a good start, this year you earn more interest on it. 'compound interest' is the technical term, but I like to say interest on top of interest. Start to save account is good.
    What you should think about doing is have your ISA as holiday, gift buying money etc as it's low interest and you don't lose much when you spend it.
    And your start to save account as your new car, house repairs money as it doesn't get touched that often and you can earn some nice interest on it. 

Keep your finance simple for this year while you get into a routine. Get a little book, write down your savings balance each week / month or whenever you add to your savings. Seeing the balance going up makes you want to keep seeing it increase.

If you've got a nectar card, link it to eBay, any purchases give you points, points can be spent at various places. Nectar cards can be ordered online if you haven't got one.

The IKEA cubes are great! I've got two with nice boxes and it's what my clothes are in. Is it the Billy bookcase you're looking at?
    - it will be nice having a few things purchased with your BF, makes it more like home for him. 

Maybe when your BF moves in, both of you could work together to list the sale items. You grab a few things, tell BF prices and he does the rest.

One final thought:
    None of us can change what has happened in the past, we were different people then. Now we are working towards being who we want to be, no matter how long it takes.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • jules81
    Options
    Thanks @MovingForwards I will reply tonight. Had a leak in kitchen last night so that's in choas. Just getting up to sort it as all cleaning items came out of cupboard. Kitchen is a bomb site lol.

I've been productive 12 item ( I think) on e bay while laying in bed :) 

Xxx
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the leak! Hope it wasn’t much damage once it’s dried out & just needs tidying up. 

So glad you got to see your ds for his birthday. Happy memories to treasure, kids remember the simple things even a fish supper. 😊
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OMG a leak!!!! that is stressful. It was raining a lot today i hope it is drying out by you. Kids remember you spent time with them that is the most important. Fish and chips are the best!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you are doing OK and the leak is sorted. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • jules81
    Options
    Wow a LONG time since I've been on here. 

BUT still going STILL ( v slowly) saving for Disney. To be honest think I added £150 ish but then bought a second hand tent last summer-out of Disney money so think have 1500 ish saved. 

We bought 2 u it's from hombase ( in back Fri sale) I used nectar card points to buy 12 orange boxes they are fab. Hold loads of our dvd. Some of OH stuff is still at his dad's. BUT will need sorting this year as he's moving. 

My ME/CFS is bad. I hate it and am so embarrassed but I walk with a stick :( I keep falling over. I am feeling pretty rubbish right now full of cold. Seriously mist have do 8 LFT since Wed. When I get poorly it really flatterns me. I fight and I fight.

Going to try and download vintage to sell some clothes on. Not having much luck o e Bay also not tried.

My fur baby had cancer last year so we had to have her put down April time. The other cat had come out of herself :) she's so lively now. She 9 got cystitis again on  past 2 weeks -£90 and £60 on vets bills so claiming on the insurance. 

Still using club card points and nectar and top cashback. 

Hols.... my fav thing

Easter 3 days with family in one of their houses in lincionshire-2 hrs away from home

Centre parks for my birthday with my parents. OH dad. 3 nights in May. Worked out £160 per person x 5 ( we all chipping in for my son) No food-but bought disposable bbq in sale at end of last year for 1 night food. My son told us he wants to go to the waffle/pancake house. My auntie kindly gave us £20 towards that as joint Christmas pressie. Max 1 hour away. Paid for me (£ 40 a month from sep). Told DS that was part of his b day pressie. We booked OH and hid dad need to Pay

This was supposed to be my 40th birthday last year but because if covid pistponed.
    Orkney July  13 days. Air bnb in Edinburgh booked and paid for for 3 nights. 
    Need to book ferry-around £600
    Hotel on way home
    Petrol
    Spending money

Butlins x 2
    Both 3 days
    Breakfast and tea for both
    I owe £130 for one and around £100 for other ( need to check didn't book it)  OH dad did. 

This week is going to be using food out of the freezers if I can. Going to aim to cal counting. I 370 lbs it's not healthy.  I've had eating disorder therapy but it's not walked. 

Anyway enough for tonight I an so tired. 

It's good to be back and keep a track xxxx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure