Saving to take son away. Camping/caravan this year :) plus legoland florid when hes 15/16 I hope

Options
I've always tried to save. It's how I was brought up. 

I have been saving up for Disney for years.... my sons now 8...so it's been slow BUT with my birthday/Christmas and have around £1200-1400 I think :) I reckon I need £6k plus spending money maybe 4k??? So £10k

I want to take him to legoland next year.  It's my 40th too. I have around £500 ( 60% of this is what I've sold)  my parents have given me £100 for my sons birthday pressie-as we are telling him.in may. I can only got for 2 nights I have ME/CFS and any more I just get wipped out ( I know will I EVER cope with Disney?) 

I REALLY need to be motivated and sell more stuff. I am.hoping this will help. I struggle with serve depression/anxiety I have so much stuff I need to sort out but find it overwelming and lack motivation ..if I can add I thing a day to fb selling site I hope to make all be it progress. Small progress.

Xxx

Comments

• longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck with your goals. In relation to Disney it can be very full on but customer services are really good at assisting with any needs. The amount you need will depend on if you want to stay on or off site, most offsites provide free transfers and it saves a massive amount. Spending amount will depend how much you want to eat in the park and how willing you are to take your own snacks etc for example refillable water bottles and squash shots can be a good option.
    Adding 1 thing for selling each day is a great target. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Hi jules well done on your savings so far! What a lovely target to be saving for I'm sure your son will appreciate it. Just take things a day at a time, which is what I’m trying to do 😆 some great advice from LW2go there. 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2021 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Good luck LW2Go I sold so many odd bits on marketplace when I kept running out of money! I have never been to America and would love to go.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much xxx. I havent really sold much. My ME/CFS and mh has flared up. I have a few items on e bay that have sold. But I put the money (£6) on wax melts lavender ones to help relax me. Bf has said he will add money to legoland ( his 1/3)  -so I ALMOST have enough :) ti book. Just need to look if there are any deals 

I get have a PA. I pay for her from my pip each month -it take 70% of it each month but no way can I cope without her. I've got a bit confussed but we had a letter yesterday stinging the high court has ruled they may have miscalculated the amount some of us pay. So I may get a little money back. If u do it will go into Disney fund. I save money at the end of each month. I hope to have £20-30 to save this month, it would have been more but the cat had to go to the vets as she kept weeing everywhere, we think she had cystitis I do have pet insurance but I think I pay the first £50 and it was £88 so they will only bump it up next year so not claiming . I KNOW its going to take a long long time. But I am still going with my Disney saving

Xxx
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    That will be a nice boost to savings if you get some money back 🤗

Sorry to hear about your cat hope she is ok now. I know what you mean about the pet insurance our excess is £100 for our dog so we haven’t claimed for several smaller vet bills. Have you thought about putting a little away each month into a kitty emergency fund ? 🐈‍⬛ Might help spread the cost of the vet fees you don’t claim for. 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im saving to pay off house and it will take ages but dont worry we are making progress every day. Well done on your savings this month. I hope cat is better what a shame the insurance doesnt cover it all. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Fingers crossed you get some money back and it can go in the Disney pot.
    Sorry to hear about your cat and hope they are feeling better. I completely understand your thoughts on pet insurance, we pay lots each month for our 2 'golden years' cats but not sure we will ever actually use it. I have questioned getting rid of it and self insuring but then you can guarantee I would actually need to claim before I built up the buffer needed. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • jules81
    Options
    @Skint_yet_Again, I do try and put £30 away each month for the cats, to cover biscuits, flea, worm treatment and vets Bill's. Unfortunately I didnt in dec. As i used that money towards son Christmas pressie 🙃  and had just bought a 4 pack of flea treatment and 10kg bag of biscuits in black fri sales so only had £10 in pot lol... but added it this month again :) xxx

Thanks @savingswannabe good luck saving to pay of your house. Keep going the pennies add up :) 

Thank you @longway2go. YES one of mine is 11, so I understand your thinking. I need to check policy and see what payout is. I pay almost £50 for the 2 of them a month. I think I will look into that :) 

Well in Jan 20 saved for Disney pot.
    BUT I booked legoland last night :) ( £702 for 2 night, breakfast, extra ticket and photo pass) I need to save another £100 in next 3 months for slough hotel on the weds night :) 

In other news bf is hopefully moving in once choas of lockdown has finished :) we need to buy a shed between us ( as his stuff needs to go in garage) so another savings pot added :) I have sold a few items on fb, think for £13 so that's going in shed fund

Xxxx
  • jules81
    Options
    Just writing this all down. HELPS my head so much. I suffer with serve MH problems ( I've unfortunately been in  psychiatric hospitals about 14 x from 2012 till 2019 for up to 6 month stays) I also suffer from ME/CFS. My minds been really cuddly the last few week. I feel like it's to full. I keep forgetting things, leaving things in weird places. I really worry my memory is going ? :( but I do think its stress. 

I am divorced I live on my own. I have a son but he lives with my ex husband I pick him.up 4 x a week and give him.tea. I have him.all day sun ( with bf to support me. Due to my mh and hearing voices/hallucinations I have to have someone with me when I have him-majority of the time) he sleeps over once ever 3 weeks on a sat ;)  HE IS my WORLD 💙 I love him.to bits. 

So I rely on my PA, bf, parents and friends for a lot of help ( obviously covid allowed- PA still comes in but I have had to do a lot more for myself, which has been hard but hopefully I am gaining confidence. I am VERY overweight-obese my BMI is 51 :( I am trying to eat healthy and cal count. I've asked the dr for an e consultant for support. 

Xxx
  • jules81
    Options
    So spent silly money on snacks at co OP.m today  £14 something bought raspberry diet coke ( was on offer). Lucazade for my PA, ready cut fruit, biscuits ( on offer), ripples and dairy milk, choc pretzels for DS .Did get chicken breast on yellow sticker for freezer was £2 for 2 big fillets so will.do to.go with curry sauce I have in cupboard. I bought it on offer it's my fav dansak :) 

I found out I have £39 in clubcard vouchers so i think they change them.x 3 ( so £127) for meals on weds night ( my bf birthday) and my birthday on fri night when we go to legoland. Maybe bella, depending on what near Windsor. Thurs night I've already paid and booked to eat in there restaurant. I bought insurance for £20 if we needed to change cancel hol..mainly due to covid.

I  checked I have £290 saved in my holiday jar... WHICH I hope to save £30-40 a month now. To split between 3 hols a 3 day Lego break,  a 6 day break with my parents ( that's less than an hour from home a chalet on coast) self catering  and butlins 3 day break in Oct with my parent and bf ( I paid deposit-for my parents birthday and Christmas pressies,  my parents are paying the rest-when its due for my Christmas pressie and DS last year as they didnt know what to get us . Ds lives butlins.  Breakfast and tea is included at butlins- so wont need much, other than cereal for my early riser, although I bet nanny gets him coco pops. Nanny buys DS treats all the time hes their only grandson. I will just take bread, peanut butter, crisps, fruit and snacks for us to share. As shopping onsite can be costly.  I've started saving loose change ( 10p 20p, 50p, £1) I then  split it into the days we go. Last year DS had £15 to spend a day ( but we did go for 5 days last oct. But my ME/CFScant take the pace.. so 3 days this time) but  last time he added 2 days up to buy a pokamon toy :)  so I hope that will be his spending money. Bf is paying petrol for is to get there and back :)  SO LOTS to look forward to covid-allowed ( fingers crossed.. not just me for us all ) 

Night xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure