Investing more than your ISA (HSBC vs Vanguard)

Hello everyone,
I am not a UK national but am currently working here and should be around for min. 3 more years.
I would like to ask for some advice as I am not particularly familiar with the UK investment landscape.
I have two main questions:

1) For this tax year, I have invested my entire tax-free allowance to various funds in my HSBC ISA. (20k)
Now, I have some more cash sitting in my main account out of which I would like to invest 20k more until the new tax year.
I have opened a Vanguard General account where I have allocated 5k already.
Now, until next April, I am thinking of putting my extra 20k into my Vanguard General account which I know will not be tax-free but as far as I understand, I would be tax-exempt anyways for capital gains up to 12.3k which I will not hit. Would this be reasonable? Would you recommend a significantly better alternative?

2) In terms of HSBC vs Vanguard; HSBC gives me an extra sense of security as that is where my bank account is but Vanguard fees are noticeably lower. What would be your preference between these 2 platforms? And finally, would there be any issue with translating my investment into cash and withdrawing any time I want? (I have read the KIID, prospectus, etc. but I wonder if there sth I miss like you cannot withdraw more than x% at once or you might be paid later etc. ) As I will likely leave the UK in 3ish years, this is particularly important to me.

Thank you very much for reading my post and sharing your insights. It is much appreciated.

Replies

• edited 28 November 2020 at 3:15PM
    AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2020 at 3:15PM
    As Vanguard is not a bank I suppose you could say they would be more secure but personally I wouldn't worry about investing in either of them .
    If you want to buy HSBC or Vanguard funds there is no need to use their platforms for your investments. They are available on all the usual retail investment platforms.