Scam!!!! ( With Amazon Prime as bait)

Magenta
Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 November 2020 at 1:33PM in Techie Stuff
Hi all,
Just thought I would warn everyone about this. 
Sorry I don't know the right place to put this but I had a phone call this morning to tell me that my Amazon Prime account was being renewed and that they had taken £79 from my account but that if I wanted to cancel they would help me do so..... You can guess what the rest of the conversation would have been (log into bank account etc).
I asked them to email me and I put the phone down. 
:smileyheaMagenta

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above one of many  BT your router your internet bank fraud etc .
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 November 2020 at 12:44PM
    How many times do people need to be told about banks/amazon/apple/paypal......they will not phone you saying your account is compromised/hacked/breached etc etc and that they will help move money/rectify/reactivate the account. Its the the same with all the emails from the same organizations that want you to click on the link to fix your account.....IGNORE

OP you make sound like its Amazons fault........."AMAZON PRIME SCAM"

• OP you make sound like its Amazons fault........."AMAZON PRIME SCAM"
    Quite, nothing to do with Amazon, it's just a variation of a common scam that's be going around for a few years now.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How many times do people need to be told about banks/amazon/apple/paypal......they will not phone you saying your account is compromised/hacked/breached etc etc and that they will help move money/rectify/reactivate the account. Its the the same with all the emails from the same organizations that want you to click on the link to fix your account.....IGNORE

OP you make sound like its Amazons fault........."AMAZON PRIME SCAM"
    I have adjusted the title of the thread now.
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Magenta said:
    Hi all,
    Just thought I would warn everyone about this. 
    Sorry I don't know the right place to put this but I had a phone call this morning to tell me that my Amazon Prime account was being renewed and that they had taken £79 from my account but that if I wanted to cancel they would help me do so..... You can guess what the rest of the conversation would have been (log into bank account etc).
    I asked them to email me and I put the phone down. 
    Its being discussed here before...............common scam
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6051852/amazon-prime-call-scam
  • Boa21
    Boa21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    I got one yesterday, press one to discuss - pressed hang up!
    I quite like trolling the cold callers to see how long I can keep them talking, certainly always get put through to the second level on the 'had an accident' calls. It's funny how long it takes them to twig when you talk about the metal rods they had to insert when my head was sewn back on!
    The force is strong in this one!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Boa21 said:
    I got one yesterday, press one to discuss - pressed hang up!
    I quite like trolling the cold callers to see how long I can keep them talking, certainly always get put through to the second level on the 'had an accident' calls. It's funny how long it takes them to twig when you talk about the metal rods they had to insert when my head was sewn back on!
    Somebody phoned me up claiming to be from Microsoft years ago, when that was going round.  Those seem to have stopped coming now in favour of the Prime ones but anyway...

Got the call, they said your computer's been doing this that and the other, went through the motions, and I eventually told them "my" computer was running Windows 95 and didn't have a modem in it and couldn't go on the internet.  They hung up straight away after I said that, can't imagine why ;)  The technical incompetence of these people wasn't hard to deduce, as they were adamant Ammyy (always the scammer's choice) worked on Windows 95, and I already knew it didn't...

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have a great technique for dealing with these calls. I never answer either my landline or mobile phones. If it's a relative or friend they leave a message to say 'hi it's me, give me a call or text me' and if it's a scammer they hang up. 

Problem solved. If it's urgent, friends and relatives will tell me so. Scammers don't bother.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • I've recently watched a few of the videos where intended scam victims have managed to reverse the situation and have deleted all of the scammers files and locked them out of their own computers and some of them are are very entertaining.
    There are dozens of these on Youtube:
    syskey scammers - YouTube
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport