PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Coach house issue with carport

Options
 I own freehold a Coach House above three carports. The carports are on a 99 year lease to some adjacent houses. It has recently come to my notice that one of the house owners has put doors on to the carport, In effect turning it into a garage.
She is refusing to remove the doors. 
1.  The carport is on the bend hence the reason the doors were removed By the builders once the estate was established.
2.  My contract states that no alterations are to be made to the building.
3.  I will have no idea what is being kept in there
4. I have concerns about the safety of the building and the tenants in the flat above
I have written to the Householder asking her to remove the doors within the next two weeks.
where do I stand legally?
Thanks

Comments

• Alan2020
    Options
    If your contract says so, get a solicitor to write to her giving her 14 days to put back to original state and make good any damage and failing that you will take legal action to forfeit the lease.
  • Jeepers_Creepers
    Options
    I guess it depends on the wording of your deeds when it comes to these carports, and also whatever it says in this other householder's version. I understand you can download these for £3? The deeds for these types of property often make it clear what can and can not be stored in the garages, or in your case carports. Yes, having doors on them will now make it harder for you to know what's going on in there, but bear in mind that most coach-houses like yours are over fully-enclosed garages, so no way of knowing what's been stored. The coach-house owner normally has to take it on trust that garage occupiers are conforming...

Your situation might be made more complex by the builders having originally fitted doors to this carport? It seems strange that it had these doors and then they were removed - not sure I fully understand the reasoning; once the door is open, what difference does it make to egress? 

Anyhoo, if your deeds are very clear, then I guess you can take action to enforce this. How easy it'll be, I dunno. Do you have insurance with legal advice helpline or cover? If so, give them a bell.
  • NameUnavailable
    Options
    What do the garage lease's say? Presumably they will prohibit any alteration to the property as that is yours, the other parties only rent the spaces underneath.
    If this is the case I would issue a notice to remove the doors and make good any damage to the walls where they were fitted. If they fail to act you would then have to do the work yourself and take legal action to recover your costs.
  • stroppymare
    Options
    The carports originally had glass doors because they were being used as part of the sales office for the estate. I was told when I purchased the property that garage doors would not be allowed because of the proximity of the carports to the bend in the road.
    I have written to the householder giving her 14 days to remove the door and make good informing her that refusal to do so will initiate legal proceedings.
     I have asked the builders For a copy of the lease which they have given to her. Thank you for the suggestions.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2020 at 10:37AM
    Options

I have written to the householder giving her 14 days to remove the door and make good informing her that refusal to do so will initiate legal proceedings.

A friendly discussion might have been a better first step. That letter sounds like a neighbour dispute, which you'd need to declare when you eventually sell your property.

It might scare away buyers for your property, if they think they'll have difficult neighbours who they'll have to threaten with legal action.

Having said that, the legal position is that the neighbours are probably in breach of the lease. If they don't correct the breach (i.e. remove the doors), your remedy is probably that you can forfeit the lease - i.e. you repossess the car port, and it becomes yours.  But you'd need to follow the correct legal procedures.

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3.  I will have no idea what is being kept in there
    4. I have concerns about the safety of the building and the tenants in the flat above
    I doubt your rights in the lease cover either of these points. You've already told us why the doors were removed, and it wasn't "so the freeholder can more easily inspect what's inside". 
  • greatcrested
    Options
    I imagine it's  Planning constraint.
    As it is on a bend the planners woul not permit a garage, requiring thr driver to stop on the bend, get out, open the garage door and then go back and sort out the accident he has caused.
    Whereas a carport can be driven into without stopping.
    Just a guess.
    But that is irrelevant really. What matters is what the lease does or does not allow the leaseholder to do.I would imagine the lease would prohibit this change, or only allow it with freeholder consent.
    Enforcement of lease conditions is best done, in order of priority
    * amicably by discussion
    * via a solicitor letter
    * by court action

• NameUnavailable
    Options
    eddddy said:

A friendly discussion might have been a better first step. That letter sounds like a neighbour dispute, which you'd need to declare when you eventually sell your property.

It might scare away buyers for your property, if they think they'll have difficult neighbours who they'll have to threaten with legal action.

Having said that, the legal position is that the neighbours are probably in breach of the lease. If they don't correct the breach (i.e. remove the doors), your remedy is probably that you can forfeit the lease - i.e. you repossess the car port, and it becomes yours.  But you'd need to follow the correct legal procedures.

I wouldn't say it's a dispute unless the leaseholder refuses to comply (with terms of said lease). If they don't and it has to be escalated then it would become a dispute.
  • NameUnavailable
    Options
    The carports originally had glass doors because they were being used as part of the sales office for the estate. I was told when I purchased the property that garage doors would not be allowed because of the proximity of the carports to the bend in the road.
     I have asked the builders For a copy of the lease which they have given to her. Thank you for the suggestions.
    You should / should have been provided with copies of any lease as you are the freeholder.

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    eddddy said:

Seems from the OPs first post she's already tried asking the recalcitrant leaser.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback