Goods must 'last a reasonable length of time' - Consumer Rights Act 2015

Options
Hello fellow consumers :smile:

The MSE article about consumer rights uses the phrase 'last a reasonable length of time' and the quote marks suggest it is the verbatim wording: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

However looking at the actual Consumer Rights Act 2015, I don't see this nor any similar wordings: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/data.xht?view=snippet&wrap=true

I am in the process of returning an item that died just outside of its 1 year warranty. In my complaint, I don't want to be quoting Martin Lewis rather than the legislature. Does anyone know where this phrase comes from? It is a lot more precise than 'of satisfactory quality', which I do see in the text.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DiddyDavies
    Options
    It would come under the requirement for goods to be durable. (CRA 9.3)
    durability
    noun [ U ]
    UK 
    the quality of being able to last a long time without becoming damaged:
    However, there's a bit more to it than goods simply having to last a reasonable amount of time. They must last a reasonable time taking into account the price paid as it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a widget costing £1 to have the same durability of a far better quality one that cost £10.

In your case, the onus is on you to prove that the item in question was of unsatisfactory quality and that any failure or breakage was due to something that came from manufacture (bad assembly, poor quality components etc).

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What type of item is the OP looking to return after 1 year?  What is the extent and nature of the failure?
  • drspa44
    drspa44 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks both. It does seem unusual that durability in 9.3 is the closest embodiment of this phrase. The act does not define the word and not all dictionaries align with Cambridge's definition. Oxford's is "the ability to withstand wear, pressure, or damage". Regardless, it doesn't really describe something like a TV or a boiler that stopped working. Moreso a bike or a drill that will fail after a few uses unless it is made with quality components. I think I will have to rely on "of satisfactory quality" for my complaint.
    I didn't want to get into specifics about what I am returning, as last time I ended up causing stress for myself and others on the forum arguing over the merits of the complaint. I've gone through the Money Claims Online process before and am confident I have a good case. I just wanted to see if anyone knew where this quote came from.

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sure it does.... a mechanical devices is more obvious about wear and tear but electronic devices are still subject to forces that can cause deterioration even if it’s less obvious 
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    drspa44 said:
    Thanks both. It does seem unusual that durability in 9.3 is the closest embodiment of this phrase. The act does not define the word and not all dictionaries align with Cambridge's definition. Oxford's is "the ability to withstand wear, pressure, or damage". Regardless, it doesn't really describe something like a TV or a boiler that stopped working. Moreso a bike or a drill that will fail after a few uses unless it is made with quality components. I think I will have to rely on "of satisfactory quality" for my complaint.
    I didn't want to get into specifics about what I am returning, as last time I ended up causing stress for myself and others on the forum arguing over the merits of the complaint. I've gone through the Money Claims Online process before and am confident I have a good case. I just wanted to see if anyone knew where this quote came from.

I presume from this statement, that you're not aware durability is one aspect which you would consider when determining whether goods are of satisfactory quality? Ie your comment reads as "instead of relying on not being of satisfactory quality, I think i'm going to rely not being of satisfactory quality". 

As stated, everything has durability. Even a TV. For example if you bought 2 TVs tomorrow, one at £300 and the other at £3000, you'd have higher expectations (including for how long the goods would last) of the £3000 one than the £300 one. 

Also, the 6 month rule applies to all breach of contract claims (whether is satisfactory quality, not as described etc) so you'll still have to prove that the goods inherently fail to conform to contract. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • drspa44
    Options
    CRA 9.3 does say that durability is one of the aspects that can be used to assess whether goods are of satisfactory quality. It does not say that all 5 of the listed measures must be compromised to prove quality is unsatisfactory. By this logic, a car that was sold with faulty brakes would not meet the standard if it had a perfect "appearance and finish". Neither would a perfectly functioning, durable car that was delivered covered in scratches and dents.
    I am aware that electronics can suffer 'wear and tear' - I have dealt with swollen capacitors and shorts after cable insulation has melted. It just isn't the most appropriate measure for my case.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    drspa44 said:
    CRA 9.3 does say that durability is one of the aspects that can be used to assess whether goods are of satisfactory quality. It does not say that all 5 of the listed measures must be compromised to prove quality is unsatisfactory. By this logic, a car that was sold with faulty brakes would not meet the standard if it had a perfect "appearance and finish". Neither would a perfectly functioning, durable car that was delivered covered in scratches and dents.
    I am aware that electronics can suffer 'wear and tear' - I have dealt with swollen capacitors and shorts after cable insulation has melted. It just isn't the most appropriate measure for my case.
    That's because it doesn't require all 5 measures. It's not a criteria checklist. It's just showing what things can be taken into account when deciding if goods are of satisfactory quality. It's not an exhaustive list either.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    drspa44 said:

The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;

(b)appearance and finish;

(c)freedom from minor defects;

(d)safety;

(e)durability.

• zoob
    zoob Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We really need a bit more information on what the product is so people can give you the correct information and advise you on how best to proceed under CRA2015 legislation 
  • drspa44
    Options
    zoob said:
    We really need a bit more information on what the product is so people can give you the correct information and advise you on how best to proceed under CRA2015 legislation 
    Thanks but I am not seeking advice at the moment. I only wanted to check if anyone knew who Martin Lewis and/or his editors were quoting. :smile:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback