🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Council Tax Reduction due to lockdown closures

Options
124»

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP how much do you pay and how much refund do you think you are entitled to ?

I would guess the answer to your question is that you wont get one, much the same as you don't get a refund on your mortgage or car payments etc when you go away on a 2 week holiday
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    CT is a property tax. It is not a tax on services.
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow.

Oh aye all those Xmas parties that are going to be taking place this year 🙄🙄🙄 do you genuinely believe that council employees get Xmas parties paid for?
    You don't think they do?!  They actually do, where I live!
    And how do you know this?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 said:
    MalMonroe said:
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow.

Oh aye all those Xmas parties that are going to be taking place this year 🙄🙄🙄 do you genuinely believe that council employees get Xmas parties paid for?
    You don't think they do?!  They actually do, where I live!
    And how do you know this?
    She doesn't.  Look who posted it.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Definitely not. They still have all those unelected executives to pay that are on £100k+.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a funny thread.  Please keep it up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    macman said:
    CT is used to fund libraries and parks, which is what the OP said.
    I din't say what is was spent on. I said what it was levied on. 
    Should childless households get a CT discount because they don't have kids to send to school? Should illiterate people get a discount because they don't use libraries?  The whole premise of this post is absurd.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport