Council Tax Reduction due to lockdown closures

Options

Comments

• LouiseDavies2020
    Options
    Hasbeen said:
    Op some info below, Does not appear to be a lot spent on libraries and parks against other more 

Thank you Hasbeen , 
    For the most constructive feedback so far. 
    Unfortunately that article is 3 years old. I will try and get some more up to date info tomorrow. 
    Many thanks

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    CT is a property tax. It is not a tax on services.
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their pensions xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow (about 1/3rd goes to their gold plated pensions...).

Here we go, nobody stops anyone becoming a Council worker if they want, don't get the gravy train, gold-plated comments like it's something only open to a few privileged people. Never had a Christmas party funded in 12 years of Local Authority working, as a manager I used to put some money in the kitty for a few drinks for the staff at the meal. Whereas when I was in Private industry, had an open bar and meal paid for and a Christmas present.
  • LouiseDavies2020
    Options
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their pensions xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow (about 1/3rd goes to their gold plated pensions...).

Exactly
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exactly what? 
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2020 at 10:44PM
    Options
    bradders1983 said:
    Oh aye all those Xmas parties that are going to be taking place this year 🙄🙄🙄 do you genuinely believe that council employees get Xmas parties paid for?
    A quick google shows xmas bonuses are sometimes paid to council employees.
    With the amount of councillors/mps/etc who have been caught having parties against the law, then nothing would surprise me.
    We'll see, but the pension contributions won't change in any event.
  • bradders1983
    edited 27 October 2020 at 10:51PM
    Options
    What on earth do MPs have to do with local councils, and what on earth does anyone having parties against the law have to do with the OP seeking their 50p per month council tax rebate?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Probably a poster who thinks council tax funds all Council services, he or she would be surprised at the actual % it provides.
    You may be surprised by the fact that that's exactly what council tax DOES fund. Recreational facilities such as parks and libraries, rubbish collection, fire and police services, etc.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    Options
    macman said:
    CT is used to fund libraries and parks, which is what the OP said.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    Options
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow.

Oh aye all those Xmas parties that are going to be taking place this year 🙄🙄🙄 do you genuinely believe that council employees get Xmas parties paid for?
    You don't think they do?!  They actually do, where I live!
  • bradders1983
    edited 28 October 2020 at 7:21AM
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Probably a poster who thinks council tax funds all Council services, he or she would be surprised at the actual % it provides.
    You may be surprised by the fact that that's exactly what council tax DOES fund. Recreational facilities such as parks and libraries, rubbish collection, fire and police services, etc.
    That is clearly not what I meant, but I just saw your last post in this thread and its the usual guff so can be safely ignored.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback