Options

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    I'm new to this site so not familiar with it  however it is a money saving site. 
    I was after answers, not your judgemental opinions. 
    If you don't have the answer, that's ok. 
    Using the word entitled in your Original Post set the tone of your question.
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    I'm new to this site so not familiar with it  however it is a money saving site. 
    Would a different word have offended you less.
    With all due respects does anyone on here have the actual answer, without getting emotive?  
    There isn't an answer though, as we don't make that decision and nothing has come from Local or Central Government. As said earlier, if you consider you are entitled to a refund, ask the question of your Council and Local Councillor.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 October 2020 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Like I said, let us know how you get on. The Parks section of local councils will get a miniscule percentage of council funding, add to that council tax only makes up roughly half of a councils expenditure and you say some parks were closed (so not all) and the closed parks will have still required maintenence, so can you quantify your expected rebate please in terms of pence?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CT is a property tax. It is not a tax on services.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,708 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Council Tax is a tax on the occupation of property and not a direct payment for council provided services, so, as others have said, there will be no reduction in your CT payments on account of some services being curtailed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Op some info below, Does not appear to be a lot spent on libraries and parks against other more important expenses?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/11/where-does-your-council-tax-money-go/

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Options
    My guess would be that councils costs may have gone up and their revenues gone down during this extended crisis.
    Based on that, I don't believe there will be any chance of a rebate.

• LouiseDavies2020
    Options
    Barny1979 said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    With all due respects does anyone on here have the actual answer, without getting emotive?  
    There isn't an answer though, as we don't make that decision and nothing has come from Local or Central Government. As said earlier, if you consider you are entitled to a refund, ask the question of your Council and Local Councillor.
    Barny1979 said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    I missed where you said that earlier 🤔 
    Thank you anyway.

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2020 at 7:48PM
    Options
    macman said:
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their pensions xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow (about 1/3rd goes to their gold plated pensions...).

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    Options
    phillw said:
    macman said:
    CT isn't an inherent thing. They set the tax level to fund the services, so if they end up with a surplus then it should in theory filter back.
    You won't get an immediate refund because there is nobody compelling them to & they don't know what their future costs could be. Plus their xmas party, expenses and subsidized meals need to be paid somehow.

Oh aye all those Xmas parties that are going to be taking place this year 🙄🙄🙄 do you genuinely believe that council employees get Xmas parties paid for?
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    Barny1979 said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    Barny1979 said:
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    Barny1979 said:
    Hi everyone, 
    I missed where you said that earlier 🤔 
    Thank you anyway.

I didn't, I was referring to another poster saying ask the question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback