New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

End of Life in Care Home

36 replies 3.5K views
annie501annie501 Forumite
5 posts
Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi, can anyone advise me please, we have been told by Doctor my Dad is now in end of life care in a Care Home (not because of corona) but we are 4 siblings and have been told only 2 people from same household can enter the Home to see him. They are in High category at moment. How on earth do we choose which siblings are allowed to say goodbye? 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    17.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A petition please link .
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very much a 'second best' option, but depending on your Dad's condition - could a technology solution help?

For example, could some family members chat with your Dad via video sessions on an iPad (so that they can see each other and chat with each other)?

You could even have a Zoom session (or similar) where lots of family members join in the video session at the same time - but that might overwhelm your Dad a bit.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All go in and ask them to point to the two allowed in. Ask them to make the decision so you won't have any arguments in the future. They will find it too difficult and let you all in.
  • montyrebelmontyrebel Forumite
    631 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    2 oldest children surely imo
    mortui non mordent
  • edited 25 October at 9:33AM
    ToxicWombleToxicWomble Forumite
    812 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 October at 9:33AM
    2 from the same household may actually only mean 1 can visit if all 4 lived in their own separate households.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • gizmo111gizmo111 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this 2 at a time, or only 2 named people?
    Local hospital here is 1 person per day but for end of life they agreed to split the day so 2 people could visit separately. 

Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    All go in and ask them to point to the two allowed in. Ask them to make the decision so you won't have any arguments in the future. They will find it too difficult and let you all in.
    Whilst I understand that the decision of who gets to go in, is then taken from you, I highly doubt the Care Home would find it too difficult and just allow all in. 
    You don't all need to go (remember they need to keep safe and have a full care home of people to protect), you could just ask them to decide for you.  I doubt they would, but if you don't mind it being chosen randomly then it's an option.  
    I'd still go with opting for the oldest or one who hasn't seen Dad in the longest and face timing.  
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • AskAskAskAsk Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure this is not 2 from the same house hold at any time?  so 2 could go in and then out, then the other 2 go in?

but otherwise the 2 that goes in have a tablet and you all can speak via video link.
  • edited 26 October at 11:32AM
    JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    959 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 October at 11:32AM
    Its already been mentioned though that all 4 may actually belong to 4 different households.
    Unless the OP returns to clarify, we are just guessing