Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Virus Protection for PC/Computer

in Techie Stuff
30 replies 471 views

Replies

• xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    HP Envy x360 Convertible
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700U
    8GB

AMD RADEON RX VEGA 10 Graphics

This is the information i have got from the  hp support assistant on the laptop
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i had a look online (i am no computer expert at all, i no the basics). Some say its the BIOS update, some say windows update, some day AMD update. I have no idea what it is, but its been a month now and its so annoying it takes so long to boot up
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    any sort of help to rectify this would be appreciated 
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at your startup apps to see if there's anything starting that shouldn't be. Also, if you haven't already got a copy, get and run the free Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK that appears to be a built in GFX , I personally, since you didn't ask B) , would try disabling/removing Mcafee see if it boots faster, but a "clean" boot may help to narrow it down https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows , and then re-enable the bits you disabled one or two at a time.
    But if you look at step 3 on that link you could do a screen shot and post it here before going through it all. Have a look at that first

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing in the start app apps that werent there before. Did the cleaner the other week and made no difference

In terms of Mcafee - why would this make a difference? The reason i ask is becuase ive had MCafee for 10 months without causing any issues or problems, but would it cause an issue in the last month all of a sudden with the SSD. Are they even linked?

I am 100% sure its something to do with a windows update or AMD update  i did a month ago, cant remember which one.

Will a clean boot make me lose all my files and installations? 
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it won't , it's a clean boot not a clean install, if you read the link you can then put them back afterwards. Oh and when did mcCrappy last update itself ? it doesn't necessarily point at the other updates. And as for cleaner do you mean CCleaner as far as I am concerned that is snake oil
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great, i will try the clean boot. The last thing i need to do is lose my work on the laptop. I will try the clean boot tonight, hopefully it should be straight forward. Not sure when Mcafee updated last, good point. I do remember it happening not so long ago though. To be honest, my sub ends Nov 20th so once its near by i will be deleting it for good. Yes the CC cleaner is what i used and to be honest, thinking about it now, my SSD started slowing down after i used that for the first time ever. Could that be the reason too?
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you just use the file cleaner bit or did you "clean" the registry too?
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    registry as well as file cleaner. i deleted it straight after, it was recommended to me