Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Virus Protection for PC/Computer - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Virus Protection for PC/Computer

30 replies 471 views

Replies

• xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    HP Envy x360 Convertible
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700U
    8GB

AMD RADEON RX VEGA 10 Graphics

This is the information i have got from the  hp support assistant on the laptop
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    i had a look online (i am no computer expert at all, i no the basics). Some say its the BIOS update, some say windows update, some day AMD update. I have no idea what it is, but its been a month now and its so annoying it takes so long to boot up
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    any sort of help to rectify this would be appreciated 
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    16.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at your startup apps to see if there's anything starting that shouldn't be. Also, if you haven't already got a copy, get and run the free Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK that appears to be a built in GFX , I personally, since you didn't ask B) , would try disabling/removing Mcafee see if it boots faster, but a "clean" boot may help to narrow it down https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows , and then re-enable the bits you disabled one or two at a time.
    But if you look at step 3 on that link you could do a screen shot and post it here before going through it all. Have a look at that first

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing in the start app apps that werent there before. Did the cleaner the other week and made no difference

In terms of Mcafee - why would this make a difference? The reason i ask is becuase ive had MCafee for 10 months without causing any issues or problems, but would it cause an issue in the last month all of a sudden with the SSD. Are they even linked?

I am 100% sure its something to do with a windows update or AMD update  i did a month ago, cant remember which one.

Will a clean boot make me lose all my files and installations? 
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it won't , it's a clean boot not a clean install, if you read the link you can then put them back afterwards. Oh and when did mcCrappy last update itself ? it doesn't necessarily point at the other updates. And as for cleaner do you mean CCleaner as far as I am concerned that is snake oil
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great, i will try the clean boot. The last thing i need to do is lose my work on the laptop. I will try the clean boot tonight, hopefully it should be straight forward. Not sure when Mcafee updated last, good point. I do remember it happening not so long ago though. To be honest, my sub ends Nov 20th so once its near by i will be deleting it for good. Yes the CC cleaner is what i used and to be honest, thinking about it now, my SSD started slowing down after i used that for the first time ever. Could that be the reason too?
    10.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you just use the file cleaner bit or did you "clean" the registry too?
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    registry as well as file cleaner. i deleted it straight after, it was recommended to me