We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Subsidised Replacement Boiler?

Options
Hi, I have an old (20 years plus),inefficient,illegal (?),Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler which provides me with my hot water and heating.I would like to replace it with a modern Combi Boiler but back away from doing anything when I am confronted by the cost to change (say,£4k all in).I am a retired homeowner with a small pension and limited resources,but do not receive any benefits which seems to exclude me from any financial help (eg ECO Scheme).Is there anywhere I can go for support/grant/subsidy? I would be happy to pay a part of the upgrade,but cannot commit to the full amount,so continue to exist in a cool environment where the hot water (never enough for a bath) takes around 1 minute to filter through...Any thoughts/suggestions/guidance greatly appreciated.Thank You,Alan/Greater Manchester.

Comments

• greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 October 2020 at 7:32PM
    Options
    I seriously doubt it is illegal....
    £4K sounds a lot, even if you need to redo the rads etc.
    How many independant engineers have you had quotes from?
    Your alternative is to consider the recent gov scheme, but this won't give you a combi boiler. Heat pump or similar....

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Depends on where you are and your house, but £2k might be a more typical price for a straightforward combi boiler install to existing radiators. 
    Volume and flow of hot water is a failure of your hot water cylinder and header tank position / pipe size, not the boiler. 
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who quoted you £4K!? How big is the property?
    Was it BG by any chance? If so, £2,400 is probably around the correct price from an independent local RGI.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure