Forum Home» Motoring

2014 Focus 1.6 TDCI Engine Management Light

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

2014 Focus 1.6 TDCI Engine Management Light

20 replies 493 views
LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
7K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
On the way to work this morning the engine management light on my 2014 64-plate Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI came on, no warning beeps or anything, just the light came on. I carried on to work as there didn't appear to be anything different with the way the car was driving. When I left work this evening the engine management light came on again immediately when I started the car but still appears to drive like normal on the way home.

Anyone experienced this before or know what could be up?

I've only had the car a year this month and It has just passed it's MOT last week with no advisories.

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    I'm asking if anyone has had a similar experience and found out what it could be. 
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    33.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people have had engine management lights come on. There could be a myriad of reasons. Read the fault codes, and they'll tell you WHY the light came on. They won't tell you the fault, but they will point you in its direction.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As Adrian said, the EML could mean anything and it could be really bad and expensive or really minor and cheap easy fix:
    • Many years ago my Seat had an EML - cause was a loose air intake hose - really minor cheap easy fix
    • My Mondeo had EML (then juddered to a stop) - cause was a snapped cam belt - really bad and expensive
    • My Focus had EML - cause was faulty spark plug - minor cheap easy
    So, you see, an EML with no real symptoms could be pretty much anything (except if the cam belt had snapped you'd know).
  • Jack_CorkJack_Cork Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    sweetsand said:
    Dear OP
    There is a small chance it may just be a fualty sensor as one of my ex work mates found out. Another said they drove their car for years with the light on but that was a petrol auto Fiesta about 10 yrs ago and the car was the older shape.
    IMHO, best to get it checked as it could be nothing or it could result in you being stranded and having to app a lot more for a rush repair.
    Having though about it, yes buy one of those cheap gadgets a poster posted about but that could throw up a lot of meaningless faults or take it to a fast fit place poss book online to get a discount/etc

HTH
    ATB
    Wise words sweetsand, you're an inspiration to many on here
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Hunyani_Flight_825Hunyani_Flight_825 Forumite
    104 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    Jack_Cork said:
    sweetsand said:
    Dear OP
    There is a small chance it may just be a fualty sensor as one of my ex work mates found out. Another said they drove their car for years with the light on but that was a petrol auto Fiesta about 10 yrs ago and the car was the older shape.
    IMHO, best to get it checked as it could be nothing or it could result in you being stranded and having to app a lot more for a rush repair.
    Having though about it, yes buy one of those cheap gadgets a poster posted about but that could throw up a lot of meaningless faults or take it to a fast fit place poss book online to get a discount/etc

HTH
    ATB
    Hmmmm.  Or just those of a similar ilk.
  • blueskinnedbeastblueskinnedbeast Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Jack_Cork said:
    sweetsand said:
    Dear OP

HTH
    ATB
    Being sarcastic towards other members can earn you a warning.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Jack_CorkJack_Cork Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Jack_Cork said:
    sweetsand said:
    Dear OP

HTH
    ATB
    Being sarcastic towards other members can earn you a warning.
    Sarcastic? Sorry I dont follow
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found out the code is P2463.
  • williamgriffinwilliamgriffin Forumite
    134 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    LeeUK said:
    Found out the code is P2463.
    DPF error, its blocked with soot.