We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Beautiful colours and shape to the fungus. Has something had a nibble on it?
    I thought so, so I assumed edible; not that I feel competent to ID any fungi except mushrooms. It might be a Dryad's Saddle, but the edges aren't uniform:

dryads saddle
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Dustyevsky
    Farway said: it's baking now but storms may arrive after 1400, once Dusty has had his share.
    Dusty has good, heavy rain right now. :) Earlier, we were on the edge of it and maybe lucky to get a half-hour dribble, but that's all changed. We're predicted to have 2 hours of real H2o.

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Thanks Farway, I’ll fire up the laptop and have a good look :) 

The weather apps were right! It’s HOT out there now, been too much for me these last few hours. Not a cloud up there. The drunkards have issued a “moderate alert” for thunderstorms, for the whole weekend. I hope it doesn’t come exactly as they’ve said, reading the details the only thing missing were the 4 horsemen *gulp*

The Oracle decided to weed her garden earlier, just as more hardcore and timber arrived. So she’s had a thorough tour of the doings, and declared that the groundworks are transformational (isn’t himself “just marvellous”) but the garden needs someone in who knows what they’re doing. “Sooner rather than later.” I don’t know about the cut of Christians in general, but the ones I meet aren’t all that Christian  :| You wouldn’t need to be thin skinned. 

Oh and the neighbours are back together. So there’s that. 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 10 June 2023 at 6:10PM
    YBE - ouch. Not sure if from what you've written the Oracle intended to be quite that cutting or was oblivious but I felt that one from here. 

No rain here yet... it was supposed to start an hour ago! The clouds are building up and the air is feeling 'damp' though if you know what I mean. Hopefully not too long now. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Aye she's a blunt one. Funny I was telling lovely neighbour about it and she doesn't like her :lol: I think the Oracle wanted to come round and 'help' but I'm enjoying it myself. It's all a learning curve but i think I'm basically doing ok. Maybe she's just a mean old biddy underneath ha haa! 

Thanks for the pics 2p, they are encouraging :) Did it take long for plants to start growing and filling out the spaces? That's what I'm waiting for now. I have enough stuff but it's sparse looking. I don't think I've bought enough of the right plants to achieve the overall look I want but... it's a work in progress.

Too warm here already. On the bright side though, the nights are cool still thankfully. No rain here, and the forecasted thunderstorms are nowhere to be seen. Oh the shock.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Dustyevsky
     Did it take long for plants to start growing and filling out the spaces? That's what I'm waiting for now. I have enough stuff but it's sparse looking. I don't think I've bought enough of the right plants to achieve the overall look I want but... it's a work in progress.
    It's a game of patience and development. My walking friend still has that sparse look to her garden, but there are shrubs put in for 'backbone' that will fill-out in a year or two. There always needs to be some room too for those 'must have' acquisitions! Finally, there are lessons from nature, like the big Salvia, 'Amistad,' that went underwater in winter and didn't like it! :D  There are Japanese water irises there now. :)
    Dull, misty start here, with cloud forecasted, which suits me, as yesterday's rain wasn't heavy for long. I'm still in some pain from the over-energetic walk on Friday, so hoping to squeeze in another 'pottering' day, filling tomato pots etc. ;)

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Thanks for the pics 2p, they are encouraging :) Did it take long for plants to start growing and filling out the spaces? That's what I'm waiting for now. I have enough stuff but it's sparse looking. I don't think I've bought enough of the right plants to achieve the overall look I want but... it's a work in progress.
    Worth putting in some cheap annual bedding plants just for this year? 

The local supermarket has been selling them off 50p a tray, but my problem is still too many plants (of the 'wrong' kind!)

We were teased with some thunder and maybe 1mm of rain yesterday. Not enough to do a fly any good! But more is supposed to be forecast from 1pm so I live in hope. It's my eyes that are the problem - constantly watering. I feel pathetic like I should be eating a tub of ice cream and watching a hugh grant movie :'( 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback