We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,283
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    That's some challenge Himself has taken on for a week, Blue Eyes! :o Make sure he stays 150 mm below the DPC in the brickwork if he can. I've not managed it everywhere, but my 'non-building regs compliant bit' is very sheltered.
    Honesty costs, so don't expect it from cheap people.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,416
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Arbitrary, your roses remind me of those we found here when taking over this wild and overgrown smallholding 14 years ago.
    They don't really fit in with my plan for the back yard (I'm not really a roses kind of girl), but I'm optimistic about finding them a space at the front. It would be a shame to not at least make an effort given how well they've coped with being neglected, and the bees do seem to like them. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,915
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Oh god, I didn’t even think of building regs… do I need to start researching compliance issues? He had some hols to use up at work so we’ve just cracked on :o I’ll tell him the 150mm thing, thank you Dusty. 

Worried now, I’ll go look it up. 
    The last private resident of 10 Downing Street was a Mr Chicken.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,283
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh god, I didn’t even think of building regs… do I need to start researching compliance issues? He had some hols to use up at work so we’ve just cracked on :o I’ll tell him the 150mm thing, thank you Dusty. 

Worried now, I’ll go look it up. 
    So long as the raised area doesn't exceed 30cm above normal ground level, it's compliant with permitted development, and being a back garden, there are no special concerns about permeability of surfaces.  It's different in front  garden areas.
    Having said that, around these parts there's been a slight tendency for people to construct quite high viewing platforms in back gardens, where they sit and watch the sunsets. Often, a farmer's hedge blocks a good view. I saw several out in the sticks when taking the train into Exeter. I bet none of them has PP. ;)
    The 150mm thing is about protecting the walls from damp caused by rain splash. I expect Himself knows about it.
    Honesty costs, so don't expect it from cheap people.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Himself did know about it - he rolled his eyes at me and muttered some nawty words about me questioning his knowledge ha haa! It’ll all be well below the dpc, probably 3 bricks below. 

Tentative research is looking fine. We’re replacing the same area that we had, at the level that it was, but in different materials. So not an issue (I don’t think). 

Anyway the timber’s here now (jeez it smells lovely) so this is only a lunch break then it’s back to it :) 
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Ooh I like your diddy wee orange pp, how’s the flavour? 
    The wood is “pressure treated sleepers”. Yeah but which wood is it? “Tree wood”. And we need more of them, apparently :/ 

The birds are loving the open ground now. Blackies have scratted most of it for worms and bugs, with sparrows and a couple of robins following in their wake. There were a couple of Mrs blackies and poss a baby one too - lots of very melodic chirping :blush: 

OT - sun’s just come out! 
  • LurkingAgain
    LurkingAgain Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you Dusty, the chucks are camping in the feed shed, in a dog cage over night. I use nettex sheild and dia dust. I must have caught this lot just in time. 

YBE did you find any rats? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure