Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Replies

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Scottish Agus.....catterpillars eat purple moor grass and hibernate. They pupate early July and emerge a couple of weeks later. Who knew they could be so complicated.
    Spent the day walking with a friendly group, drinking coffee and eating cake so the only plantwise thing was seeing wildflowers and wondering what their names were. I'm sure I knew years ago but going to have to be some research.
    My computer is on the blink and can't be seen to for a week + fixing but I've found books to be a lot more accurate and easy to find stuff.
    We've had a few spells of heavy rain. It was very muggy yesterday but fresher finally by this lunch time so both the garden and me are looking so much better. I could do with a break on the unremitting heat and dry so I don't mind. Just I forgot to pick some raspberries and it's a race between me and the blackbird.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics P P, I like the yellow plant Telekia speciosa, maybe one I'll slot in my memory for the volunteer border, could go well with the white Shasta daisies, at least it'll be insect friendly and car proof

The fresh sowing of Shasta daisy I made last week has germinated, plus the Heleniums I pricked out into individual plugs are starting to show new growth, getting ready for 2022 already
    Checking yesterday during a dry spell, blackberries are starting to colour up, just a bit of a reddish tinge at the moment
    My Lakemont grapes came to nothing, the bunches have vanished without flowering or setting so no idea what happened there, it's only a young plant so that could be why, fingers crossed for 2022
    However the Green Muscat has set and bunches are forming, this rain should get them swelling up, and the runners that escaped snailageddon have embryo beans :)

• wortwort Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    finally got some rain , quick heavy downpours, so possibly not enough to wet the soil well enough. Dashed out to take these, thanks for the identification of the yellow daisy, which I don't remember planting and was surprised to see when it popped up a few years ago!  But do like daisy style so must have done!! 😂😆
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • edited 28 July at 6:54PM
    phoebe1989sebphoebe1989seb Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 July at 6:54PM
    More super pics everyone 😆

I was dodging the showers when I posted mine yesterday, so failed to identify the plants, lol! Dave is correct - of course 😃 - on all counts.... the Persicaria is 'Taurus' and the Macleaya Cordata is 'Kelway's Coral Plume'.

The latter is certainly taking over, so I can see why you might not want to encourage this thug 🤣 Fortunately, where ours is located - in the jungley part - we need all the thugs we can get!

Most plants we tend to buy/plant in groups of at least three but this was purchased as a single, small plant in May 2020 and it's come on in leaps and bounds....

Here it is (behind the dwarf bamboo and cannas) shortly after planting....The Telekias are on the foreground.
    :j Mortgage-free for twelve years! :j

:T Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed :T
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has finally rained in the NE of England were we live ,would you believe it ,just when i wanted to mow the lawn ( back garden grass ) well weeks of sunshine has made watering a necessary now not so :):)  
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
     the Macleaya Cordata is 'Kelway's Coral Plume'.
    Here it is (behind the dwarf bamboo and cannas) shortly after planting....The Telekias are on the foreground.
    Looks so well-behaved and innocent, doesn't it? >:) 
    We have a Saponaria, 'Betty Arnold' who is also pretty and pretty invasive. I have her down by the stream currently, but it remains to be seen whether she'll flower properly there.
    I have a picture somewhere, but I'm lazy tonight and this link tells you all you need to know. We did indeed get it from Mr Brown's exciting nursery, near Evesham.
    https://tinnisburn.co.uk/products/saponaria-officinalis-betty-arnold

Digital Identity: you've seen the carrot, but wait till you feel the stick!
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My weather app says you will cop it overnight, Farway, which is the best time. ;)
    Lucifer is hard to shoot and convey the colour fully, but I'll visit Paul's Best Yellow today and see if it's worth a snap. :)
    Digital Identity: you've seen the carrot, but wait till you feel the stick!
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the hedgehogs were queuing! 
    I opened the door last night to massive snails and slugs. Too wet to send them on a trip and they haven't been early summer.
    I've had to adapt since the new path sits properly to the base of the gate and open it at night. 

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well