Do you keep receipts?

Options
I always look at my cc bill, and check through it to make sure it's all shops I'd use, but I'm never organized enough to go the whole way and keep receipts and check each one off. Should I be?

And I'm wondering how long I should keep receipts anyway, I tend to put them aside in a folder if I've bought something that might break, and then throw the folders away after a few years (I mean small, cheapish purchases e.g. from the supermarket). How long is it worth doing that, and does anyone else even bother with this? I have, a couple of times used an old receipt to get a refund, so I know it's worth doing, but are there useful time limits?

Comments

• CocoM2020
    CocoM2020 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some shops (Argos, Apple) now offer receipts via email. Easier for more purchases as can just keep in a separate folder rather than have a piece of paper that is more likely to get thrown out. 
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    I keep receipts for anything with a warranty or guarantee, for a reasonable time.

Other receipts get scanned to cashback apps, ZipZero, HuYu, SnapMyEats, as applicable, then binned.

Most contactless transactions, I don't even bother with a receipt.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I scan through the statement every month to check each transaction. If it's a big purchase I keep the receipt, if it isn't it gets torn up and binned. Probably keep the receipt for small things about a week, max 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never for reconciling my card statements, as others I keep larger ticket purchase receipts for warranty/proof of ownership type purposes.
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only for big purchase items just in case of warranty claims / returning faulty item.  Like others whom have posted if the retailer offers email receipts then I tend to prefer this option than a paper printed one.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes and no.

Yes in a big pile until I sort them! Mainly becuase I keep a spreadsheet of costs for the car and mpg analysis (yes I could do each one for that when I get in but... lazy!).

So I when I sort then I use thouse and just keep the big item ones. Other get shredded. May take 1-6 months though!

• NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    I drafted an A5 table with five columns in Microsoft Word -  Date/Transaction Details/Debit/Credit/Balance.
    Copied twice on to A4 page for the printer - to be cut in half with a paper trimmer, holes punched and kept in an old A5 ringer binder, a relic from a former bank in the days when only paper copies of statements were available.
    The template is kept on external hard drive for printer access as required.
    It's easy to keep a running record of card usage - and to check against online statements each month when published.
    As above, no need to keep receipts for routine purchases (supermarket and petrol etc.) - only those that refer to guarantees and warranties.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    CocoM2020 said:
    Some shops (Argos, Apple) now offer receipts via email. to add you to their spam list.

Fixed that for you.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet and record every payment and rec back to the statement.  But we pay every item by card so we get points for vouchers.  Don’t usually keep receipts once they have gone through the statement, because info is on my spreadsheet and card statement online would be proof of payment.  I also make sure I register warranties straight away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback