Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

TV licensing

On the Thursday nights TV show the TV license was spoke about. Can anyone provide link to what the rules are for watching different channels. When you have to have the license.

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the official MSE guide:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

If you want to watch TV without needing a Licence, you can only use commercial (not BBC) catch-up and video-on-demand services.   You also can't use BBC iPlayer.
    ex Board Guide

• hifly747hifly747 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I recently cancelled my TV License as I don’t watch BBC it iPlayer, I use Britbox, Netflix and Prime, I received a letter today saying I need a license to watch ANY live channel, so this applies to any ITV, Ch4 CH5 etc the MSE states I don’t for ITV channels? Which is the correct guidance? Thanks 
  • lammy82lammy82 Forumite
    559 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You need a licence to watch ANY live channel, including ITV. The MSE guide does not state anything to the contrary.
  • edited 18 September 2020 at 2:39PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2020 at 2:39PM
    Indeed.  The rules amount to:

If you want to watch TV without needing a Licence, you can ONLY use commercial (not BBC) catch-up and video-on-demand services.   You also can't use BBC iPlayer.

It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    ex Board Guide

• KoysiiKoysii Forumite
    11 Posts
    10 Posts
    I reported to the TV licensing dept that my aerial has been cut from previous occupancy and to not bother me again. They have left me alone now for 2 years 😁 We have an Android TV box which has Netflix Amazon video recently and YouTube. I've never liked BBC's shows so no bother. Only thing I miss is watching random mundane programs on Freeview. But there simply isn't any Freeview or Freesat service without the retched BBC channels. It will be a great business idea freeview/Freesat box without any BBC services. 
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But any live Freeview channel requires a licence .
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the BBC licence fee goes to fund various parts of the BBC, so why do they say you need a licence if you don't watch the BBC?
    I cannot see any justification for this.
  • oldagetraveller1oldagetraveller1 Forumite
    481 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    "All of the BBC licence fee goes to fund various parts of the BBC"
    Including £87m for a new East Enders set! Compare that to £10m for a new Corrie set.
    I'm glad to be licence free now for the past three months.
    They are excellent at squandering/spending/wasting other people's money to spout their "propaganda".
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they do seem rather uncritical of the government with their propaganda and it could get worse with the proposed new head.. Fortunately I only see Laura Kuenssberg when I visit people with TVs.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going by the TV guidelines, I shouldn't watch any live tv, so it is OK for me to watch the edited highlights of sport in the evening on ITV4 rather than during the day?