I want my dog back

After a relationship breakdown my ex partner has kept our dog. When collecting my belongings back in June for storage he asked if I was takin her then as she was pining for me. As he made me homeless I couldn't. What started of amicably while moving my belongings he then had a hissy fit and called the dog in and slammed the door and I have not seen her since. We paid 50/50 for her, cross bread, but is registered to me at the vets and microchipped to me. He has missed her inoculations appointment and has ignored calls and texts from the vets. All the vets bills were paid from my bank account, how can I get her back because she is not happy with him without being too costly 

Comments

• He has also ignored my texts asking how she is. I am so heartbroken as I just want her back with me, where she will be happy and reunited with my 3 cats 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2020 at 5:51PM
    Dogs are property under the law. If you believe you can prove she is yours then a letter before action prior to going to court would be the next step. 
    Would be better though to try to reach agreement without this - is there a friend/family member who might be willing to help mediate? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Could somewhere like the Dog's Trust be able to find a foster home for her?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Could somewhere like the Dog's Trust be able to find a foster home for her?
    Why? the OP wants her dog.
  • sheramber said:
    If she's still homeless, wasn't clear if this was the case?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As you paid for her 50/50, she is owned jointly. You have no more rights to her than he has, and there is not a lot you can do if he is feeding her and making sure she has water. If he was not feeding her or not making sure she has water, you could call the RSPCA. 

I think your best option is to hope that he loses interest in her. He may do this if he thinks you are not bothered about having her. While he knows you want her, he can use this to upset you. Don't let him.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber said:
    If she's still homeless, wasn't clear if this was the case?
    doesn't seem to be homeless
    I am so heartbroken as I just want her back with me, where she will be happy and reunited with my 3 cats 

• Thank you for all your replies.  No I'm not homeless now and still want my dog back.  Prior to moving in with my ex at the end of March last year; Roxy (my dog) lived happily with me and the 3 cats.  I say we paid for her 50/50, that was 7 years ago and in cash.  I have asked him again if I can go see her and he is not letting me see her at all!!!!  He is a narcissist and compulsive liar;  something I found during the latter part of last year.  He is keeping her out of spite even though he asked me to take her when moving my items out when he made me homeless.  I have been incontact with the RSCPA, who did nothing.  Also called the vets again to see if he had taken her for her inoculations, again not bothered.  I wondered if I could take him to Small Claims to get custody back of her.  I have plenty of witnesses who have seen how he is with her and also bank statements proving vet bills paid from my account.  She is registered under my name and microchipped to me.  When we lived together, even when he wasn't working;  I was the main dog walker/feeder/affection giver to Roxy.  He would occasionally put her food down or give her a treat, if she didn't want it straight away he'd say "f**k you then, go without".  He is a vicious person and Roxy would tremble/shake or go in a different room if he raised his voice or got in a fowl temper (that was often).  I just want my dog back so we can both be happy again, she doesn't deserve a miserable existance with him.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not recommending the company, but for information:
    https://www.doglaw.co.uk/ownership-custody-disputes/
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I tried the doglaw people, they weren't much help at all unfortunately.  I have contemplated just getting her from his (without breaking and entering) or from outside a shop when he leaves her there;  after all she is my dog and I was the one who always made sure she had good walks and up to date with inoculations.  He just isn't bothering with those and referred to her as "just a dog".  She got ignored most of the day after her walk, left to lay about or in her chair.  My poor little Roxy;  I am struggling to cope without her as I know full well she is as miserable as anything with him.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback