We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Really bad hair extensions

Options
Hello, I’m on here go seek some advice. On Thursday (04/09) I had a set of prebonded hair extensions fit in. I left the salon happy but only because I didn’t get to see the back of the hair. I came for a consultation beforehand and explained to the fitter what look I wanted to achieve. I had a very blunt cut and very short too, sort of a lob. I was very worried you’ll be able to see the extensions due to my original hair cut. She reassured me everything will look nice and she’ll make sure it’s all blended in. I got home after my appointment and looked in the mirror and ended up crying. The hair looked HORRENDOUS. The hair wasn’t blended in at all and it wasn’t a good colour match either even though I came for a consultation pretty much a week before my appointment to match my hair and fill out the form. I paid £280 and today (07/09) I had to do to my normal hairdresser as I felt so humiliated walking around with hair like this!! She cut the extensions off so it will blend in with my natural hair. I have messaged the fitter telling her I wasn’t happy with them and asked for a refund. She said she wont do a refund as it’s against her policy but she could fit more bonds in To make it blend in. I don’t want more bonds as my hair already feels heavy and I don’t want to make it even heavier and damage my own hair... I really would like a refund as all this money has been wasted and I had to go to my regular hair dresser to fix this hair extensions disaster. Can anyone advise on what I can do to get my money back?? Thank you 

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    Options
    Without giving the original hairdresser and opportunity to fix your issues I don’t think you will be able to get much in the way of a refund 
  • SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    Oh my gosh. That is awful!!! I have extensions but black hair. How the hell is that a colour match? I’d go back and ask for a refund, if they don’t then I’d put those photos all over social media so people can see what a mess they are making!!!! 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with Katrina Waves. You should have gone back to thee hairdresser who did it.
    More to the point why didn't you insist on seeing the back before you left. That was the whole point of the appointment.  
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I'm afraid you may be stuck because you didn't allow them to address the problem. Getting another hairdresser to cut them off has denied them the chance to fix it.

I assume the three photos are publicity shot, you before and then you afterwards?  If so, your hair looked lovely as it was, so do consider the need for extensions. 
  • gilett
    gilett Posts: 425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Spank said:
    gilett said:
    1st world problems...
    As we are a 1st world country this seems the correct place to ask about consumer rights. If I am wrong please tell people what they are allowed to complain about.

Well in the real world some people worry more about how they are going to pay the rent or feed the kids than about how their hair looks. 
  • Diamandis
    Options
    gilett said:
    Spank said:
    gilett said:
    1st world problems...
    As we are a 1st world country this seems the correct place to ask about consumer rights. If I am wrong please tell people what they are allowed to complain about.

Well in the real world some people worry more about how they are going to pay the rent or feed the kids than about how their hair looks. 
    And? It's not relevant to this thread or her consumer rights. 

This one is going to be difficult. Your first point of contact should have been with the person who provided and fitted the extensions. They are now in the position where they can't rectify the issue. 

But yes, these were pretty terrible. How did this photo get taken? Was this taken by the normal hairdresser? 
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gilett said:
    Spank said:
    gilett said:
    1st world problems...

And? how is this the problem of the poster?   Her money she can spend how she likes.   She has every right to ask a consumer rights query.
  • gilett
    gilett Posts: 425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    £280 for a few bits of fake hair? Not very MSE. 
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But their money and their decision.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,392 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2020 at 2:18PM
    Options
    gilett said:
    £280 for a few bits of fake hair? Not very MSE. 
    There are no rules on MSE about what level of expense is ‘allowed’ and which is not. Posting just to suggest someone shouldn’t be buying certain things is really not in the sprit of MSE and none of us should be jealous if someone has enough money to spend in a way that to the rest of us might seem wasteful. 

OP I’m sorry but I agree with the others, I think you will struggle to get anything back here as the original hairdresser wasn’t given the chance to rectify the problem. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure