Investing in Whisky

Options
13»

Comments

• Lammasu
    Lammasu Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think Whisky Invest Direct was mentioned above. Good idea I suppose if you're looking at by the cask purchase. Personally I felt the Grain wasn't worth it as the £0.15 LPA charge strips most of the profit for the first couple of years. Single malts would be a better bet although I haven't invested with yet as I haven't seen single malts I would personally see as being a decent value proposition. I had meant to see if any are used in famous brands like JW Black label or Chivas Regal  given that's what the brokerage is meant service. 
  • Lammasu
    Lammasu Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you're looking for investment Whiskies  Rare Whisky 101 produce a number of indices on their website they claim are based on 10 years worth of data from 675,143 bottles of Single Malt Scotch covering 59,792 different bottlings. I can't vouch for the veracity or objectivity of the data (they are a whisky valuations and brokerage company ) but they have some interesting data including the most heavily traded (collectors index) and bet investments (investors index). 

• brasso
    brasso Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gg23 said:
    I'm guessing you read that BBC News story yesterday about a lad selling whisky he had been bought every year by his dad as a deposit for a house?

I got the impression that the BBC were rather more keen on having an "Impressive" story so glossed over something perhaps rather important, that the dad effectively got lucky by buying a band that had become quite trendy.  So I'd imagine that it really is a gamble, you have to pick the right brand to do as well as this guy.  And I doubt anyone is going to know which brand will suddenly become popular in 20+ years time.
    To be fair, Macallan hasn't just become "quite trendy". When I worked in the wine and spirits business back in the 1980s, Macallan was the go-to brand for collectors and connoisseurs. One problem that hasn't been touched on enough is security of storage. You either pay a good chunk to store in a secure warehouse or store it at home, with all the risks of accidental damage or theft. More trouble than it's worth really. I have a few cases of 2005 claret in storage which are worth far more than what I paid for them, but once I factor in all the storage fees plus future auction premiums plus tax plus delivery charges plus optional investments I could have made with the money, yes, I still have a potential profit but not sure if it's worth all the hassle. 
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would never be able to stop myself from "just having a taste" to see what it was like...probably make a change from Bushmills!
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure