Investing in Whisky

Options
I’m thinking of investing in Whisky, just buying a bottle a month instead of keep putting money into an ISA, heard there are good returns to be made as long as you resist temptation of drinking it!.

Anyone do this successfully? 

Thanks 

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd end up drinking it! Although I do tend to wait until its in special offer at £17/litre or less 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • gg23
    gg23 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing you read that BBC News story yesterday about a lad selling whisky he had been bought every year by his dad as a deposit for a house?

I got the impression that the BBC were rather more keen on having an "Impressive" story so glossed over something perhaps rather important, that the dad effectively got lucky by buying a band that had become quite trendy.  So I'd imagine that it really is a gamble, you have to pick the right brand to do as well as this guy.  And I doubt anyone is going to know which brand will suddenly become popular in 20+ years time.
  • Sailtheworld
    Options
  • kipsterno1
    Options
    One point that many people don't consider is have you got suitable space to store it all? 
    I have over the years purchased several bottles that have seen a rise in value but I have only ever bought stuff I would enjoy if they were to be opened.
    To give you a rough idea I have just looked on Whisky Exchange and they give the following (retail) prices on three of my bottles,
    Bought 2000 for £60 now £400
    Bought 2000 for £12 now £250
    Bought 2004 for £250 now £2000
  • ShandyAndy_2
    Options
    Yes I read the story yesterday and it got me thinking ... 
  • ShandyAndy_2
    Options
    One point that many people don't consider is have you got suitable space to store it all? 
    I have over the years purchased several bottles that have seen a rise in value but I have only ever bought stuff I would enjoy if they were to be opened.
    To give you a rough idea I have just looked on Whisky Exchange and they give the following (retail) prices on three of my bottles,
    Wow that’s pretty impressive 
  • ShandyAndy_2
    Options
    That’s true I don’t have a lot of storage space! 
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, as said the father got lucky that the brand became trendy and there is a large market for Whisky in Asia, which has pushed prices up.
  • barnstar2077
    Options
    I'm sorry, do you mean you bought a bottle in 2000, or you bought 2000 bottles?!   :o
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback