Student Saving

Replies

• SmegasaurusSmegasaurus Forumite
    28 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I do have insurance but never sure if they'll pay out, I know that they wiggle out of anything! Claim submitted so anything back is a bonus. 
    Just done a quick tidy up and moved another £400 into savings. This makes my total now over what it was in September which given that involves a £1400 vet bill in the middle I am amazed by. 
    I've been doing surveys and made £30 in october and hoping for about the same this month. I don't think the new job will bring in a lot but I get paid to attend half hour meetings every week at the moment so it's almost free money. This reminds me I must get listing some more books! 
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes I know what you mean about insurance. Our dog had haemorrhagic gastroenteritis recently and had to be in the vet hospital for 2 nights/3 days. They only pay a certain level for blood tests/nursing care/hospitalisation and don’t pay for admin, fee for vet completion of claim form/special food so our claim was £300 short. But at least £300 plus excess £99 is less than £1800. 

Well done on savings & surveys 🤗
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • Slow and steady wins the race, I am finding it is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, for saving. :)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • longway2golongway2go Forumite
    997 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds like you have a really good savings mind. Sorry to hear your dog was not well but its good that you had money aside to pay. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:
    Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂
    EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC)

Aim for 135,062 by Jan 2022 for 3 year challenge - 1058 to go

Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :j
    Onwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :j
    Just keep swimming
    28 Posts
    Forumite
    I tidied my current account to the tune of £350 into savings with what was left over in Nov and I know I won't need this month. This is in addition to the standing order for £200 to my H2B ISA. 
    I had a bit of an issue with my credit card not working in November, well actually I think I blocked it because I forgot the PIN! All this use of contactless payments has not helped. That means that my credit card bill for this next month is really tiny but more came out of my current account. I usually just pay for everything on credit and then clear every month. I get points for my credit card usage. My limit is £2k but I only ever put £400 or so a month on it. I was told once that it helps my credit rating so I keep up with it as it never costs me a penny in interest but earns me the odd amazon voucher. 
    I've just run the totals for bills etc. and what's left after and I'm hoping I'll be able to put another £200 away into savings at the end of this month, but I will let it sit there until I know it's not needed. 
    I've tried to be really efficient with my Christmas shopping this year, I've warned people that I'm on a budget and I've tried to stick to it. I don't have many people to buy for and I've got some great deals by shopping around. The Black Friday deal with buy a gift and the extra discount on the MSE website meant I got DP a fab experience for under half price. Full price would have been about £230 but I got it for just over £100, I wouldn't have paid £250 because that's well over budget but by going over slightly I have an amazing gift!! I've pretty much finished and I'm not wrapping. This is the hard part, I always get to this stage and then panic that I've not got enough and go out and buy loads of extras. I need to keep reminding myself I don't need to, I've got a lot of very nice well thought out gifts and it's still come in at about £360. I always get annoyed at the unnecessary excess at Christmas that I know that I don't need to buy pointless extras! I need some more resolve though.
    I had some good news on the dog insurance front. I had to provide some more info and history from when he was a tiny pup before I moved which was a faff but they sent me a letter saying I would be getting reimbursed just over £1k, which is much better than I was expecting. 
    I'm going to try and do an end of year round up and look back at what my savings totals were at the end of 2019. I'm rubbish at recording it. I'm hoping that this diary will help me keep track and motivate me more.  
  • longway2golongway2go Forumite
    997 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Youu seem to be managing your cc well and getting a benefit which is great.
    I understand your feelings of feeling like you have not got enough presents as I have been in similar mindsets in the past but it sounds like you have everything covered  :)
    Well done on your bargain present, an end of year round up sounds fab. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:
    Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂
    EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC)

Aim for 135,062 by Jan 2022 for 3 year challenge - 1058 to go

Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :j
    Onwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :j
    Just keep swimming
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Hurrah for lovely presents, savings and sorting out Christmas. Happy 2021!!!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Happy New Year Smegsy!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

28 Posts
    Forumite
    Things have been very hectic with all of xmas and the tier changes. Luckily I was working over xmas so no need to change any plans. BUT I've still not completed my end of year round up. I normally finish each month with by allocating spends to different pots and do a bit of monthly comparison but I sort of fell off the band wagon a bit at the end of the year. A quick look back to Jan 2020 and I spent over £200 on eating out! Well that's one area that will defo improve given the current situation.  :D

My 2021 target is to save £8,000. I think this is possible but it's enough of a stretch that I need to keep focused. It works out as about 45% of my stipend. 

I plan to do this by cutting food shop (I had 2 save £10 at l1dl in December and did a big stock up so shouldn't need much in Jan), I was never a fan of the budget supermarkets, I couldn't see how it made that much difference, boy was I wrong. I'm a compelte L1dl convert, it's already saved me so much money. I'm going to aim for as many NSDs as I can and be more on it with cooking lunches for work.

As I become a non-tax paying student in July 2020 I should also be owed some tax back - anyone have any idea when HMRC process this? I'm hoping that will boost the savings a bit. 

At the end of December I added £1100 to savings. Mostly from the Pet insurance repayment. 

• +1 to L1dl - it does make a difference to the shopping bill.  :)

Not sure on the tax refund - you may have to claim that yourself via HMRC? A quick google (sorry don't know how to link) mentions if you think you need a refund, then apply, but there are time limits, so worth visiting their web-site ASAP I think....?

And nice work on the savings, a good goal to have.