Cameras with viewfinders

Options
124»

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    While I loved it it didn't have the zoom I need to photograph deer across a valley.
    But it might be an option to have as a pocket camera for just out and about and look for a better one for when I know I'm going to the wilds for an afternoon drive.
    I really liked the 'sports' facility that had such a quick shutter speed.
    But I certainly now have some ideas of what I'm looking for. I want a viewfinder, if possible a light meter, option to go manual perhaps (even though I;ve always been too lazy to use it) and good focal length.
    And I realise just how poor the point and shoot is for my needs. I knew that when I bought it as a temporary replacement but then view finders were frantically expensive and phased out despite there being a demand. So this is a great time to find what I need, when companies are looking to sales. I'm thinking that they must have dropped with so many of us not going far.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe compromise on a "bridge" style camera, above point & shoot level but with a fixed lens & very often long zoom?
    Prices vary but some well known makes
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The Panasonic Lumix DMC LX7 has a separate viewfinder you fit to the hot-shoe and a zoom lens. 
    I have one, but without the viewfinder. I LOVE it. It has a really fast 1.4 lens too. 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=panasonic+lumix+dmc-lx7+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=panasonic+lumix+dmc-lx7+viewfinder
    and the viewfinder:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/373185904595

Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make sure you don't get drawn in with the "32x" zoom etc... all this is saying is that the long end of the lens is 32x the length of the short tend. Make the short end ultra wide angle and you suddenly get very big multiplier numbers but that doesnt mean you'll actually "zoom in" more than another camera with a smaller multiplier but a much longer base length. So a 10mm-100mm on a camera would be a 10x zoom but a 50mm-200mm only a 4x zoom despite the fact you will get much "closer" photos. Look beyond the multiplier and normally somewhere it will give a 35mm equivalence value (ie a traditional film camera).

The other complexity is that most cameras have much smaller sensors than the 35mm of an old film camera, so the M3/4 that others have been recommending is half the size which effectively means you are taking the middle part of a photo and expanding it to full size and so a 100mm lens on a M3/4 camera will be equivalent to a 200mm in terms of "how zoomed in" it will look but the depth of field etc will be that of a 100mm lens.

Small cameras have come on leaps and bounds, electronic view finders are arguably equal to traditional ones and for the vast majority of users they'll be happy with the results from even a fairly budget camera (or camera phone) but personally don't trust those that believe all are now equal. The Mrs uses an Olympus Pen PL8 for when she wants a better image than her phone takes but still takes my Canon full frame camera when wanting to take photos for her business.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 18 September 2020 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Again Thanks folks....I had to go AWOL for a while when my computer went to the 'shop' and I was still learning on a new kindle etc. Brain now addled but hopefully back to looking at all these and learning more so I know what to ask for.
    I'd forgotten all about the bridge cameras. That's why these forums are so useful, all sorts of ideas pop up. They were 'the thing' back along. Must look up the details.
    Yes, the zoom length etc is something I can rely on if I go to my friends photography shop. If I can give them a set of criteria I'm sure they'll find something for me but it's always wise to look at the new simple stuff out there too. Sometimes there's a treasure in there.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• maya85
    maya85 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Again Thanks folks....I had to go AWOL for a while when my computer went to the 'shop' and I was still learning on a new kindle etc. Brain now addled but hopefully back to looking at all these and learning more so I know what to ask for.
    I'd forgotten all about the bridge cameras. That's why these forums are so useful, all sorts of ideas pop up. They were 'the thing' back along. Must look up the details.
    Yes, the zoom length etc is something I can rely on if I go to my friends photography shop. If I can give them a set of criteria I'm sure they'll find something for me but it's always wise to look at the new simple stuff out there too. Sometimes there's a treasure in there.
    Honestly, any camera from the last 5-7 years is going to be pretty good. You just have to narrow down what your needs are. Currently using a Panasonic g85 and its quite good. Keep getting tempted with all the new tech and bigger sensors but never pulled the trigger. 
    See if you can find anything in https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-search In bridge cameras, the Panasonic FZ1000 II or the Sony RX10 mark 4 is going to be hard to beat. 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    maya85 said:
    twopenny said:
    Honestly, any camera from the last 5-7 years is going to be pretty good. You just have to narrow down what your needs are. Currently using a Panasonic g85 and its quite good. Keep getting tempted with all the new tech and bigger sensors but never pulled the trigger. 
    See if you can find anything in https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-search In bridge cameras, the Panasonic FZ1000 II or the Sony RX10 mark 4 is going to be hard to beat. 
    That's a very handy link to filter items. Thanks for posting it

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • darwinso
    Options
    I use Zetta Z82
    www.zetta.com.hk - product - dvr - z82
  • littlemoney
    Options
    I purchased a Sony DSC-HX90 when I wanted a compact, versatile camera with view finder and I have been happy with it. Point and shot or lots of manual options if you wish to play with all the settings. There is an excellent review here.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback