Cameras with viewfinders

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The only time I use the viewfinder is if it's too bright to see the screen. There are all sorts of aids to framing available on the screen and in the viewfinder.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • photodgm
    photodgm Posts: 236
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From what I understand of your requirements perhaps reading this would be helpful
    https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dc_tz90_review
    I use the TZ95 but that is just outside your budget. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,427
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks for the info but I'm not the type for using lines and squares to make it all happen. More creative. I'll use a bit of white paper against the lightmeter to change the automatic exposure and such like over riding the technology or making it work to suit me.
    I was curious if the current technology for a digital viewfinder works like the original mechanical ones of if it's going to be another learning curve and I may regret the purchase.
    But I've got a lot of good suggestions.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• I think Panasonic do a compact with a viewfinder, as do Sony. Photography is not something I know much about so have no clue if they are any good but if you know what you are on about then it might be worth a look.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Thanks for the info but I'm not the type for using lines and squares to make it all happen. More creative. I'll use a bit of white paper against the lightmeter to change the automatic exposure and such like over riding the technology or making it work to suit me.
    I was curious if the current technology for a digital viewfinder works like the original mechanical ones of if it's going to be another learning curve and I may regret the purchase.
    But I've got a lot of good suggestions.
    Yep, works just the same, better in fact because you see exactly what the sensor "sees"
    So in theory what you see in view finder is what you get
    You can turn composing lines on or off, I find them useful for level horizons but even that can be solved post processing

There isn't a light-meter to override, it's all via the lens so holding paper over it will obscure the view, and once you remove paper it revert to where it was
    No doubt with spending more you will get more manual controls, but with limited budget you are getting into "point & shoot" territory, but I'm sure in the right hands excellent results can be achieved

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2020 at 3:19PM
    Thanks both. Yes, lots to think about.
    I do miss the chance of adjusting exposure so a better one might be the answer. I hadn't thought of that.
    Automatic is ok, I had fun with all the gizmos at first until you try to photograph something that doesn't fit with the preset tasks.
    And yes, I remember when I had the lines they were useful for verticals and horizontals in certain situations.
    As my local camera shop seems very short on supply at the moment, our Argos has closed down and I can't get to the city lots of time to explore the options. I just really want to get on with it - but that's current life in the backwoods.

• photodgm
    photodgm Posts: 236
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Modern compacts can provide lots of options shutter priority, aperture priority, program mode, full manual, along with automatic. Add in exposure compensation and changing ISO and there is a lot of opportunity to take control. Personally I use my compact when I want a range of focal lengths and don't want to carry much weight. Having said all this I much prefer the handling of an interchangeable lens camera, either DSLR or mirrorless.  
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    As photodgm says you can do all that on a good compact. I tend to leave my Panasonic on one favourite setting on "Intelligent Auto" and my other favourite setting on "Automatic". If you want to do more then there is a myriad of options, too much for my little brain. I like taking wildlife so I couldn't do without the 30x zoom.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Thanks both. Yes, lots to think about.
    I do miss the chance of adjusting exposure so a better one might be the answer. I hadn't thought of that.
    Automatic is ok, I had fun with all the gizmos at first until you try to photograph something that doesn't fit with the preset tasks.
    And yes, I remember when I had the lines they were useful for verticals and horizontals in certain situations.
    As my local camera shop seems very short on supply at the moment, our Argos has closed down and I can't get to the city lots of time to explore the options. I just really want to get on with it - but that's current life in the backwoods.
    Maybe worth a prowl around YouTube?
    This thread tempted me to get my Sony Cybershot compact charged up and running.
    It was my everyday camera for years and I may give it an outing, see what I can do

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Forumite
    I'm taking all the ideas in, it's appreciated. You never know what comment might create the trigger like remembering light meters and hair lines.
    Farway, I had one of the early Cannons with viewfinder that took wonderful shots. Automatic or manual, speed setting. Although it only had 6x zoom it seemed to do as well as the new 'emergency' pocket one I bought with double that. If I could have fixed it's bit that had gone wrong I would have. Find a good one, stick with it. Remember Cybershot, was the most wanted at the time. Great little camera.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport