Easyjet cancel ALL Newcastle Flights - but no refunds ???

edited 28 August 2020 at 1:15PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
13 replies 1.1K views
Mick70Mick70 Forumite
556 Posts
100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 28 August 2020 at 1:15PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
Easyjet have cancelled all overseas flights from newcastle after this september.
However when the new flights for 2021 became available a couple of weeks ago they happily sold those seats/flights , thousands will have bought them (including myself) for 2021.  Now those flights will NOT go ahead however they are issuing NO refunds or means to change flights ?  
I rang easyjet and after an hour finaly got through , the lady confirmed my summer 2021 flight would not be happening but I cannot get refund yet or even change flight, I have to wait until easyjet formally notify me....  which maybe spring 2021 !!!  6 months away !
How can they possibly get away with this , it seems so wrong
Can we officially complain to somebody ?
Sick Mick

Replies

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the issue is that this is a stated plan rather than something that has actually happened and whilst its only a "plan" it is possible that it doesnt actually go ahead and so your flight may well fly
  • Mick70Mick70 Forumite
    556 Posts
    ✭✭
    No, they have officially announced closure of their newcastle operations , you can no longer book seats on any flight from newcastle after this september , it has been on local media 
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/latest-travel-information

Base closure at London Southend and changes to our operations at Newcastle and London Stansted

18/08/2020

On Monday 17th August we confirmed the closure of our base at London Southend and changes to our operations at Newcastle and London Stansted.

As a result flights due to operate to and from London Southend Airport from 1 September 2020 will be cancelled. We will also be cancelling some flights to and from London Stansted and Newcastle, however these airports will remain part of easyJet’s route network and so flights on a number of routes will continue to operate.

Operating routes:

• Newcastle to Bristol, Belfast and Nice
    • London Stansted to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Amsterdam

We understand the uncertainty this may cause our customers due to travel to and from these airports and we would like to reassure you we are we contacting those whose flights are impacted in departure date order with clear guidance on your options, which include:

We would like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience this may cause.

*Excludes route changes to/from Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, Morocco.

2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 (offset) YTD £770.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Mick70Mick70 Forumite
    556 Posts
    ✭✭
    @jackieblack  thanks for the post , this is my point (i probably didnt word it well though ) , any option to claim a refund or change flight via manage my booking I have told may not be available until Spring 2021 !!   It should surely be available now ?
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you follow the link as per the press release and try and self serve the changes?
  • Mick70Mick70 Forumite
    556 Posts
    ✭✭
    if follow the link it still does not give option to get a refund or even move flight 
  • maghatermaghater Forumite
    341 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I like the option of being able to claim a refund voucher, giving you the option of the Belfast Riviera, or the Costa del Bristol. They have in fact sold you a ticket for a flight that doesn't exist, which is fraud in my opinion. Imagine going to a garage and buying a car that they say is going to be delivered in a few days, going back to the garage and them saying sorry the car doesn't exist but we will keep your money just incase another one turns up. You would be down trading standards in no time. I cannot see the difference.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears easyJet are being generally unreasonable here. My opinion is that if it is generally apparent that your flights are highly likely to be formally cancelled, then it is reasonable for you to assume that they have been and you can start a claim against them. Perhaps get a few others in a similar boat to get together.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    maghater said:
    I like the option of being able to claim a refund voucher, giving you the option of the Belfast Riviera, or the Costa del Bristol. They have in fact sold you a ticket for a flight that doesn't exist, which is fraud in my opinion. Imagine going to a garage and buying a car that they say is going to be delivered in a few days, going back to the garage and them saying sorry the car doesn't exist but we will keep your money just incase another one turns up. You would be down trading standards in no time. I cannot see the difference.
    They sold the ticket before the changes were finalised / announced, unless the sales team had a crystal ball then it’s business as usual until a base closure is confirmed. 

I believe all crystal balls are inoperative due to the pandemic - but while definitely not fraud, they should certainly be expediting refunds to those affected now they know the flights won’t be happening. 
  • Mick70Mick70 Forumite
    556 Posts
    ✭✭
    I would be happy to just change flight IF they would give me that option now